• Hippo
    I have to come back to this, not only because i dont think a horse thats won 6 out of 16 can ever be rated top chaser (Its lost more than its win fgs and not always in top company) but also as an example of the Hcapper reacting before he thinks.

Cyrname's lofty 178 seems to based solely on the impressive demolition of Waiting Patiently and Politilogue at Ascot. well if hes right in his thinking (based on his irrational thinking!), surely Min is now the top Chaser in Britain and Ireland having murdered both yardsticks in a grade 1 at a championship meeting (Ascot wasnt a championship meeting), yet Min sits at a lowly 167 a full 11ibs below Cyrname. Now putting everything into context, lets say these two are equal (which in my eyes they are not as Min has won far more than Cyrname and all at the top level), yes? So they are equal for this debates purposes? Well every time Min has come near Altior, its been well and truly put in its place hasnt it...4 attempts? Never within 7 lengths and this with Altior running below its best this year. Also its stable mate Un Deuex Seux gets beat every time it comes near Altior. You may see where this is going. So lets take Altior, now its record is : 21 runs 19 wins with those defeats in NH Flat races (bumpers). It has taken on and beaten the best around. You can point to Politilogue getting close at Chelt, therefore technically Moin and Cyrname are better? Clearly , no. Altior was poorly that day im sure of it.

Anyway, my point is how can Altior be rated 175 against Cyrnames 178? 19 out oif 21 against 6 out of 16? Cyrnames been beaten off horses rated 139 (Caid Du Lin), 145 (Mister Whitaker), 151 (Finians Oscar...and that couldnt jump!), 151 (Terrefort), 137 (Big Matre) and the list goes on...well another 6 inferior horses to be exact. The fact is Altior HASNT been beaten by inferior or so called superior horses...fact.

It is not Cyrnames fault, but surely the wisdom of the Handicapper has to be called into question here. I think hes an idiot if he thinks Cyrname is 3lb better than Altior.

Open debate chaps, insults please, just a good debate about racing. Thats my view and Im sure there are contrasting ones out there although the sheer stats do point to the handicapper overeacting to a race (Ascot) that actually didnt take that much winning.
  • milhouse
    For me, is Cyrname a good horse? Well yes if he is going right handed. That is another point. If he was to be great or the best, surely he should be able to go either way round? The handicapper has totally over reacted to that performance at Ascot and he has nowhere to go now. If he was to do the right thing and correct the mark, he loses what little integrity he has. I think the other piece around this is the reaction of the fat oaf. Any normal trainer would be complaining at the over reaction at that performance. No he sits quiet and believes it. Is he brave enough to take on Altior at Sandown? Oh I do hope so. He will have no excuse as he will be going Cyrname's way round. Then let us see Altior put the horse into some sort of correct context
  • AKD
    Some good points, Hippo and Millhouse. My opinion? I am in middle on this one, I think Cyrname’s rating is probably a bit too high but not by a huge amount. I take your point about his relatively low strike rate, but he is only 7 year old so it’s not impossible to think that he may have improved this season. Now about that Ascot performance, there are several reasons for me to believe it was a very good performance. One, 17 length winning margin, often you can get exaggerated winning distances on soft or heavy going but not so much on good to soft which was the going at Ascot. Two, he broke the course record while eased down at finish. Three, all five of his rivals were rated 160+ (lowest was Charbel on 161), now it’s possible and very likely that some of those ran below form but it’s unlikely that all 5 of them would have run below form. Michael Harris (the handicapper) has said that he felt both Waiting Patiently and Politologue ran below form (so I would not use them as comparisons as regards to Min), and he has used Fox Norton as the yardstick as he feels FN ran to similar level as when beaten 7 lengths by Altior on same course a month earlier. On this, I don’t completely agree with him as Fox Norton has mostly raced around 2 miles and there is a possibility that he didn’t truly stay 2m5f. So in my view rating of 178 maybe too high, especially as he still has to prove that he can go left handed too, but on that performance I don’t think the handicapper could have rated him much less than 175.

I think we really want to see Altior vs Cyrname, hopefully that will be a good race.
  • Dazzler
    Cyrname is defo a good and improving horse but Altior for me all the way!
  • peregrine
    yes other things to look at here is the times that cyrname has put in.and as they say times dont lie. but hippo you are paranoid and i dont think you can sleep at night as this is bugging you.its only becaue paul nicholls trains the horse and you cant stand the chap. but his record is for all to see. still i like you and all racing fans would love to see cyrname and altior in a race plus which other horses come to the party. i actually thought that altior got injured at cheltenham. but nothing has been said. it looked rather laboured. yes akd cyrname is still improving i agree. but till these get it on we will just have to sit and wait.
  • Hippo
    Peregrine, i do dislike the bloke but not paranoid (my dislike is a bit tongue in cheek. Personally i dislike him as hes been rude to my party, but as a trainer I admire him), after all its still a game and if...when, he wins the championship it will be a well done by me.

Im genuinely after others views as i am a bit paranoid how the handicapper arrives at his decision. Times, i agree are important, but for one good time ie a performance, what about the 10 lousy times when he lost and the average times when he won? if he had said "that performance at Ascot would make him the best chaser ie just on that one race" ..i could probably find solace, but its done it once and once only. Altior keeps beating the best around and no its times are not great as its usually won easing down.

Good debate and really good input, ill suppose we will never know til they meet. im with you Peregrine, im not sure it didnt look a bit injured at Chelt and maybe missing Liverpool will puthim spot on. I pray hes not a horse coming towards the end of his tether and if hes going to beat by Cyrname, i hope its a thrilling race of no mistakes and the best horse wins.
  • peregrine
    totally agree with you hippo that altior has beat all thats been put against him. and maybe racing has started to catch up with it. but nicky henderson is brilliant at bringing his top horses to the track to win . two examples were sprinter sacre. also bobs worth to win the gold cup. and if they do meet . id expect cyrname to go from the front. but they might try sending altior on to see if they can really test cyrname. still we will wait.
  • JOEMUGG
    Cyrname has done nothing that Altior has achieved and I feel its a disgrace to put it above Altior at this stage
    it was hammered in 2 races in November when it was fav
    ok it cruised 2 2 easy wins this year but 2nd one was 6 horses
    its never won at cheltenham

I have no idea who would win a race but on whats been achieved shown so far the rating are ridiculous
    May be Altior is over the top time will tell
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Best of the Bets forum

Welcome to Best of the Bets forum, a community of liked minded punters with an interest in horse racing and sports betting.