• Doubler
    Spent a bit of time reading about this on twitter this morning. Be interesting what the BHA have to say on the matter.
  • JOEMUGG
    good on him
  • Doubler
    Was Mr Oliver at it again today

• Doubler
    Stewards report.

Uttoxeter, 10 Dec 19
    Race 1 - 12:40pm
    THE @uttoxetertwit HANDICAP HURDLE RACE (CLASS 4)

An enquiry was held into the running and riding of SASTRUGA (IRE), ridden by Jeremiah McGrath and trained by Henry Oliver where, having run prominently, the gelding appeared to be tenderly handled in the home straight before finishing second of ten runners, beaten 3 ΒΌ lengths. The rider and the trainer were interviewed and shown recordings of the race, the Veterinary Officer reported that after two post-race examinations of the gelding, no abnormalities were revealed. The rider explained that SASTRUGA (IRE) is a big, weak type who is not a natural at his obstacles so his instructions had been to give the gelding room and to go forward into a prominent position in order to give him sight of his hurdles. He added that they went a good gallop in the testing conditions and he was off the bridle from a long way out, so he had to hold SASTRUGA (IRE) together in the home straight where his jumping deteriorated (reported at scales post-race), in order to get the gelding home. McGrath further added that once the jumping was over, he was able to pass tiring horses which had been put under pressure from much further out. The trainer confirmed the instructions and was satisfied with the way SASTRUGA (IRE) was ridden, confirming that the gelding is a poor jumper despite intensive schooling at home. He added that he was pleased with the way the gelding finished his race and he may consider running him over a longer trip in future. Their explanations were noted.
  • Mugz
    Blimy. I watched that replay without knowing which horse was the one. Didnt take much picking out ! I would be fuming if I had backed that win only.

:angry:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Best of the Bets forum

Welcome to Best of the Bets forum, a community of liked minded punters with an interest in horse racing and sports betting.