• Hippo
    Firstly in the 230 at Carlisle, what race the guy was watching is beyond me!

"In touch, not fluent 7th, outpaced 5 out, pushed along and rallied before 2 out, fourth and no impression when left 3 lengths second last, edged right and one pace last 100yds (op 8/1 tchd 15/2)"

my view "never in touch and held up way off the post, let 4 horses go clear, no reaction, still cantering, long long round 3 out (for what reason i have no idea!!!), still cantering making no effort to close, only decided to break out of canter between last 2, suddenly realised it had a chance when the two leaders fell, way too late, stayed on to close to 1.5 lengths having between 30 lengths of Hells Kitchen 2 out!!!"

Now i see on their site the informed RP reporter has put this nonsense: "Carlisle latest: Racing Post Insight - Queally magic
    John Queally is a rare visitor to Britain and made it three winners from five GB runners in the last five years when landing the bumper at Carlisle with Arcadian Sunrise.

It should have been four winners from five too as Djingle was well on course for victory when falling at the last in the Graduation Chase.

We might have to wait a while for his next runner, but this victory confirms he is a man to follow when sending horses on the long trip across the Irish Sea."

their own racereader put this: "Took keen hold, led, ridden and headed after 2 out, 2 lengths down and one pace when fell last (op 15/8 tchd 9/4"...so which one is lying about watching the race? Midnight Shadow had gone past it and was clearly going to win easily!

while it is annoyingly stupid of them there is a more serious point. This is the only mainstream racing newspaper out there and they could be influencing thousands into misreading of races. If this was a court of law they would be locked up. This is a serious case of mi-journalism.

i have written to them
  • Mugz
    Just going to watch it now and report back.
  • Mugz
    Right imo, Dijingle was in trouble coming to the last and was not 'well on course for victory'. We agree on that.

With Chesterfield I don't have too much issue with the ride as he was about 2l off the eventual winner until making a bad mistake and dropping about 7l back. At that point I think Hughes thought the race had gone and was saving the horse a bit. Having said that when he did have a chance after the 2 falls at the last he still couldnt make any inroads on the winner, which makes me think he was never going to win that race however he had been ridden.
  • Hippo
    Ok i must be on drugs! Spoken to Mullins and he thought the ride was awful! Never put in the race at any point! He wont be riding for them again. The rules say you must ride for the best position and he clearly didn’t. I mat as well pack up if i read that race that badly! But i know i havent so will respect your view mugz but wow, what were you watching man?
  • Mugz
    If you follow the betting on the race then the 2 that were expected to have it between them did so until they fell. Both the eventual 1st and 2nd were drifters, Chesterfield 11/2 to 12/1 so there wasn't a bean for it. The way it was ridden suggests that they knew they werent going to win, but then you could argue that Hughes thought the leaders had gone off too fast and might struggle to finish.

For the record...

Irish racing comments : "close up, ridden 3 out, left 2nd at last, ridden and stayed on one pace".

Timeform comments : "mid division, mistake 7th, stayed on from 2 out".
  • Hippo
    ok Mugz, Seamus is in the habit of sending a horse on a 600 mile round journey when he could have got a racecourse gallop anywhere or entered an easier race at Newbury or Sandown. They are NOT a gambling stable and theirs often drift, thus why i am a fan, the sheep dont tend to follow his horses. I can assure you they thought it was fit and ready (thus the prep race on the flat at Windsor). But anyway im glad these so called "expert" publications get it superbly wrong, it makes it easier for me to get a nice price nto ie "close up, one pace, unable to close etc" makes it look a moderate horse, whereas my "never put in the race at any point and THAT lingering look round (as if he was on Shergar)" seals it for me...definite bet if he can find the same kind of race for it. Id be happy to back it (with a different jockey...his regular Kevin Jones would do) if it took the two fallers on again. Why? Chesterfieild is a 144 hurdler yet was receiving 7lb weight from Hells (137) so if closer it would have beat that easy effectivel a stone better in. it was getting 3lb off Djingle yet thats rated 143 so 4lb better in. The one is was badly in with was Midnight a 146 hurdler that was receiving 4lb from Chesterfield. But Chesterfield has a blistering turn of foot at the end of his races and if close would beat these easily except maybe Midnight (who was going to win). So hes well in with 2 of the 3 market leaders, hes travelled 600 miles (riound), it was fit from a great run on the flat and is the stable star....maybe you can understand why me and the tsable were so puzzled about Hughes's lame effort and if he had been trying to place it at its best finishing position 9as the rules dictate) he would have won...he was miles behind Hells 2 out yet gets beat 1.5 legths and that was asking a horse to go from a walk to sprinting whereas Hells was all out at the time!

Thats the level i go to to with my selections and why i trust my own eyes rather than the lazy eyes of the RP et al.Thats why i make a profit out of the game. With your theory and race reading Mugz you basically wont ever back Chesterfield as it will never be the subject of a gamble (as explained above) which seems to be the basis of your assumption they didnt want it! i can assure you they DID! £60k to a small yard like this when theyve done 600 miles!! Lordy!

Anyhoo, thats whats its all about, different views. So dont be insulted by the above, its just my passion for the game and bewilderment at how others play the game, which of course you are entitled to. And thank you for thye opportunity to allow me to post my (sometimes contraversial) views
  • Dazzler
    Great assessment and write up Hippo. Keep them and the great tips coming mate :clap:
  • Mugz
    Nothing wrong with discussions Hippo and differences of opinion. The way you view the race you would have to know what you knew. Im looking at it from a neutral point of view with no investment, so if the horse was really there to win and was only let down by the jockey, then hes going to be a value bet pretty soon.
  • Tattcorner
    Chesterfield runs in the 3.40 Newbury today
  • Mugz
    Thanks for the heads up .

:up:
  • Hodge
    1 runner for us today at Newbury Racecourse in the 3.40pm where we run CHESTERFIELD for owners The Rumble Racing Club. Jerry Mc Grathtakes the ride and leading up today will be the ever enthusiastic Reggie Kevin Eggleton. CHESTERFIELD has his big test today over the larger obstacles. Conditions are fine for him and I think he will run a big race. I’ve actually backed him myself at 9/1 for 5 places and just in case he’s as good as we hope - I’ve had a little 16/1 for 2 places. We will be disappointed if he doesn’t finish in the first 4 !
    I haven’t had time to go through the rest of the race as I’m busy but ASHOKA is on a hat-trick and could also run well with conditions to suit! Best of luck to connections and horse and jockey back safe and sound is the main priority!
    Brett
    #teammlins
  • Mugz
    Jockey will be buzzing after winning the 1.50.
  • peregrine
    Yes and he never rides a double :mask:
  • Dazzler
    Nice ew profit made! Did winner too but missed out on a nice bet with the favourite and Chesterfield fc.
  • Mugz
    Got 3rd at 12/1.

:up:
  • Tattcorner
    Yeah, I went e/w at the 13/1 with WH.
    Come back Hippo, you know you love it on here.
  • peregrine
    I also was on the winner but not going to post if the people involved with the bookies don't come clean :vomit:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Best of the Bets forum

Welcome to Best of the Bets forum, a community of liked minded punters with an interest in horse racing and sports betting.