• AKD
    Only a small bet as this one has a bit to find on ratings with a few of these and you don’t often get big priced winners in beginners chases. KNOCK ON STEEL (20/1) is making his chasing debut but has formlines with a couple of these over hurdles, he was beaten 4 lengths by Global Jackpot (who is odds on favourite today) at Tramore last August and finished 5 lengths behind Cooldine Bog (6/1 today) at Wexford in July, so he needs to improve to match those but there is a big difference in prices. There are also others like Cliff House (who was a beaten favourite yesterday), Local runner Stormey (who usually runs well here) as well as Fintown Boy and St Lawrence Gap so even getting a place is not easy but I feel there are reasons to expect a good run from selection. Many of the runners, like the selection, are returning after a break and not all those trainers have them ready this early. Selection’s trainer Brian Jordan doesn’t have many horses but he does really well at this time of year, in month of May he has had 4 winners (8/1, 20/1, 14/1, 6/1) as well as 4 placers (including 16/1 & 11/1) from just 14 runners. This is his first runner at Ballinrobe and I find it interesting that he has sent it a long way from his Wexford base to other side of the country. Jockey Sean O’Keeffe’s (who rode his first chase winner at Punchestown last week) 7 lbs claim may also help. Selection was backed from 20/1 into 7/2 (note there were two significant non runners which would also have contracted prices) when winning his maiden hurdle at Clonmel in October, he beat a couple of horses rated in 70s & 80s on the flat in that race so that probably isn’t bad form. A lot will depend if trainer has him readier than few others in race, market may guide, he does need to improve and I am not expecting a win but hopefully he will run well enough to place at least.

Knock On Steel, small e/w @ 20/1 (can get 18/1 for 4 places with Bet365)

Good luck.
  • owenjohn
    Good Luck AKD. Great write up as always.
  • AKD
    Thanks, Owenjohn. Ran very well for a long way and I thought he might win, traded as short as 3/1 in running, but tired very quickly and in the end bit fortuitous to finish in 3rd place so happy with the profit made.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Best of the Bets forum

Welcome to Best of the Bets forum, a community of liked minded punters with an interest in horse racing and sports betting.