• AKD
    Bet #60 - 1:50 Haydock - Nomadic Empire, e/w @ 18/1 (4 places, 1/5 odds)

Late decision on this bet as I was thinking of leaving it but non runners have taken out at least one of the dangers so I have decided to take a chance. Nomadic Empire has not won in Britain (won in Bahrain during the winter) since September '21. But that win on 24th September is an important piece of form imo, it was a narrow win in class 2 off a mark of 99 at York (6f, good), 3 & 4 1/2 lengths behind him were Mr Wagyu & Music Society, my selection is 8 lbs & 6 lbs better off with them today, Mr Wagyu is 2/1 favourite today, based on that form my selection looks very good value.

That is not the only good piece of form, Nomadic was a smart 2yo, twice placing in Listed contests and also running well in Group 3. He continued to run well as a 3yo, winning twice, but that win at York put him above 100 and made life difficult in handicaps last year. He has followed the same path as last year, having his first two races at Ripon (same race) and Dante meeting at York, run at Ripon was disappointing as he had done better in the race previous year but soft going could have been a possible excuse. He was an outsider (18/1) at York and ran accordingly but it has earned him another 3 lbs drop. 3rd run of last season was also on this card, but in the Listed race where he finished only 5th of 9 but dropping to a handicap he faces an easier task today.

He dropped down to class 3 only once last year (York, 7th Oct) and he must have been thought to be on a good mark then (OR 92) as he was sent off 4/1 favourite, but he disappointed in finishing 14th of 15, but again the good to soft going could have been one of the reasons.
    His record appears better on today's quicker going, 2 wins and 2 places from 8 runs on good to firm, with any soft in going description it is 0 from 10 though he has placed 6 times on it.

My main reason for backing him is that he looks really well handicapped, though he didn't win last year there were good placed efforts in Sprint Trophy and Portland handicaps. I think he should be capable of taking advantage of his low mark before long, hopefully today.
  • Stevie Wonder
    Hope your homework pays off. GL
  • Stevie Wonder
    20/1 and 5 places with Hills
  • Stevie Wonder
    Nice placer. Ran well.
  • AKD
    Thanks SW. 3rd @ 20/1, I will take that. I think O'Meara will get a win from him this year, it's just a question of finding the right race for him.
  • stainless
    Well Done AKD good reasoning for the selection.
  • Ribot
    Well done, AKD. Excellent analysis.
  • malcolm

Great stuff again AKD :clap: :clap:
  • AKD
    Thanks everyone. Not as confident about today's but hoping he runs well.

Bet #61 - 4:05 Perth - Western Run, 50/50 split win & 3 places (win @ 17/2, 3 places @ BSP)

Very risky one as my selection is 0 from 13 (placed 3 times) over fences so it's a big ask for him to win his first chase in a race like this, but I do think he is quite well handicapped now and am hopeful he can place at least. Race trends are against him as no horse rated below 127 has won this race since 2010, but this is a smaller field than most years and as 3 of the 8 runners are below that mark I am prepared to overlook that trend.

Couple of falls early in his career may have affected his confidence and he can make mistakes, but he has run quite well when able to put in a clear round. He was only narrowly beaten in a novice chase at Cartmel this time last year, the winner who was conceding 6 lbs to Western went on to win his next 3 and is now rated 136, so that makes Western Run's OR at that time of 130 look about right. He didn't run up to expectations next time when sent off favourite for a class 2 handicap just two days later. Couple of hurdles runs after being switched to Stuart Crawford saw his mark drop further before joining his current trainer Mike Smith.

He won a couple of point to points this spring, and ran ok here last month when finishing 2nd of 3 runners, but handicapper has dropped him another 2 lbs to 122. He looks well handicapped now on his best form, it is a competitive race but I have doubts about a few of the others too so I think he could run well. Mike Smith has only had one runner in this race before, that finished 4th @ 25/1 (OR 118), admittedly only 5 of the 10 runners finished that year, but I think he will be hopeful of picking up some prize money again. Former winner of the race and current favourite Landofsmiles also has a good chance.
  • AKD
    Poor selection today, raced in last place for most of the way, 3 of his rivals dropping out allowed him to finish a well beaten 5th.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Best of the Bets forum

Welcome to Best of the Bets forum, a community of liked minded punters with an interest in horse racing and sports betting.