• Doubler
    Looks like more to come, if social media can be believed.
  • Stevie Wonder
    It was a moment of crass stupidity and insensitivity; however the horse was dead! I cannot forgive cruelty to live animals but I don't think his 'crime' deserves the loss of his livelyhood and that of his seventy odd staff. He's made a hearfelt genuine apology imo. We've all done stupid things at one time in our lives. What about the grass who released the photo on social media? That was a pretty nasty thing to do also.
  • Jack Trotter
    From the Racing Post:
    FIRST PUBLISHED 9:23AM, MAR 2 2021

The Irish Horseracing Regulatory Board (IHRB) is investigating a video circulating on social media which shows an individual believed to be a jockey sitting on a dead horse on what appears to be a gallops.

After the video circulated on social media on Monday night, the IHRB released a statement on Twitter on Tuesday morning which read: "The Irish Horseracing Regulatory Board is aware of further social media content circulating and the matter is under investigation."

The video shows a stricken horse on the floor and the individual involved moving to straddle the dead animal. It appears the body was set to be moved when the video was recorded.

Three others are shown in the close vicinity and laughs can be heard after the individual sits on the horse. The individual then pats the horse as he dismounts before the video ends.

A spokesman for the BHA said the regulator was aware of the video but would not be commenting further at this stage.

The video comes just days after an image of leading trainer Gordon Elliott sitting on a dead horse emerged on social media.

Elliott subsequently told the Racing Post he has let down the racing industry, his owners and his staff with an "indefensible moment of madness", with the sport uniting in condemnation of his actions and the BHA banning him from having runners in Britain while an investigation by the IHRB takes place.

No date for a hearing into the Elliott case has been confirmed by the IHRB.
  • peregrine
    I actually agree with you Stevie. What was the person doing snooping around were they trespassing ? Either way the photo dosent do Gordon Elliot any favours. But I doubt for one minute his horses aren't very well looked after. If they weren't the trespasser would have already put them up. As stated the horse had unfortunately died . Social media is one of the worst things ever invented . It's for nosey b****"*"ds with nowt better to do than cause trouble ! To which the sick terds get a kick out of it. Now if you post back and don't agree be constructive please.
  • The Gambler
    The 'grass' is supposedly a lad who took offence to Gordon having it away with his girlfriend!! So, not a trespasser, just someone who took offence at GE having his girlfriend!! Wrong again Mr Elliott IMHO
  • peregrine
    Thanks gambler but that just shows the consequences of this chap are huge.just think of all the stables livelihoods and others involved gone. I hope he's happy of the trouble he's created. Really he should have had it out with g Elliot. It just shows how people just don't think things through. Yes g Elliot shouldn't have got involved with the chaps lass but their is two sides to every story as they say. And I doubt we might not get to hear it.
  • Jack Trotter
    It is irrelevant who or indeed why someone posted the "photo".

The issue is the "photo" and the portray of this image.

This image has caused outrage, disgust, disappointment and sadness throughout the racing industry.

No one wants any of Gordon's staff to lose their jobs but sad to say it seems this may happen and I for one despite my disgust in the image would be sad to see this happen.

JT
  • The Gambler
    Totally agree JT, was just clarifying what happened following Peregrines comments about a trespasser or snooper!
  • peregrine
    Either way as its come from within and of course it matters where it came from JT without the photo you don't have an image wouldn't you say. What's got the racing world is that I think most people are shocked by what they have seen. But think outside the box if that's possible because most folk have tunnel vision and are like sheep. Name the horse if you can. Next the owners. Horses get fatally injured on the gallops / on the race track. Those in the game know and understand this and yes it's upsetting but they know what comes with it.how they deal with it is another thing. What will the outcome be we will have to wait and see. But I stand by my opinion of this chaps personal life may have wrecked the lives of the others. Unless the stable is looked after by the team.
  • Jack Trotter
    It does not matter where the "photo came from peregrine.

Think about it, It is the action that he committed in the "photo" and not the fact it has been publicised.

I do however accept that the fate of his staff is at serious risk now and I feel very sad for them (just think of the stable staff who cared for the horses that have been moved) and to a point for Gordon Elliot because this moment of madness as stained a very talented training career.

Love him or hate him he is a great racehorse trainer.

JT
  • Doubler
    So a 12 month ban of which 6 months is suspended. Probably as good a result as he could of expected.
  • Spindrifter
    two smashed in knees wouldn't have went a miss either!!!!!
  • peregrine
    So this was from 2019 ? I did not know that . Anyway if you took time to read what Lydia hislop put in . I think you might have a little understanding. Yes some are still angry/ and think he should have got more. But if for one minute you think his horses are mistreated or not well looked after I'll eat my hat. Put things into perspective. We have had high profile jocks on the drugs still riding today . What kind of image does that do for racing ? Which ever way you look at it or think . G Elliot owned up and he will have to serve his ban. Im glad he will be back .
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Best of the Bets forum

Welcome to Best of the Bets forum, a community of liked minded punters with an interest in horse racing and sports betting.