• AKD
    Wow, what a game that was, my heart still hasn’t recovered lol. Watching various sports over 35 years, I don’t think I have seen anything like this before, and what an occasion, in the World Cup final. That last hour or so was a real rollercoaster ride. Well done England for finally winning it, great innings from Ben Stokes. Got to feel for New Zealand too, it was a game neither team deserved to lose.
  • Mugz
    Sporting TV gold. I've seen some close and dramatic finishes in cricket over the years but that was ridiculous.
  • Jack Trotter
    One off.

Tennis was good as well and Hamilton won British GP.

Great day for Sport.
  • micky
    Very exciting but England were doubly lucky, not just that the Stoke's dive went for 4 extras but this rule was ignored too!!!! Should only have been 5 not 6, as the fielder complied with subrule part 3.
    MCC RULE 19.8
    If the boundary results from an overthrow or from the wilful act of a fielder, the runs scored shall be:

any runs for penalties awarded to either side
    and the allowance for the boundary
    and the runs completed by the batsmen, together with the run in progress if they had already crossed at the instant of the throw or act.
  • Mugz
    Incredible that everyone missed that yesterday. I dont like the rule though. It should be dependent on the whether a run was completed at the point of impact. If the ball hits you before the run is completed I dont see how that can be a legit run, as the ball could have hit the sumps. Either way it would have been 5 and not 6.
  • Valuefinder
    Great sport today; the cricket was amazing. Thought NZ were very unlucky and were probably the better side on the day but nothing between them really. Tennis was amazing too, flicking on in between overs and seeing it go on and on. All-time greats the pair of them. Made up for such shit UK racing!
  • owenjohn
    Was simply unbelievable stuff. Re, what Micky and Mugz said, I think it's also ultra-refreshing to see how utterly graceful New Zealand were as the losing team, a lot of sportspeople could learn a great deal from them. Neesham was so sporting being interviewed minutes after the game, when he must have been totally choked!
    Dread to think what the red tops would be spouting had that kind of decision/incident gone against "us"!!
  • AKD
    Well said, New Zealand took it very gracefully. Yes, England were certainly lucky with that overthrow situation, they should have got only 5 runs but I think most people were not aware of the rule about batsmen needing to have crossed at the moment of fielder releasing the ball for the run to count as it’s a very rare occurrence. I didn’t know about it, the players didn’t, Williamson has said he didn’t know about it, and the umpires made a mistake (there is no excuse for umpires not knowing about the rule). I think it was retired umpire Simon Taufel (who btw is widely regarded as the best ever ump) who first pointed out the error.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Best of the Bets forum

Welcome to Best of the Bets forum, a community of liked minded punters with an interest in horse racing and sports betting.