• Mugz
    One for Hippo maybe. Picked up the RFO today to find that Dominic French Davis (Lambourn) is doing the trainer dairy for the flat season. He had 10 winners last year and has just 15 horses in training.

Perhaps someone can enlighten me how it is possible to setup and run a yard on your own with just 15 horses and make money?
  • Hippo
    Hi Mugz, just spotted this! How does he make it pay? good owners, shrewd betting and selling on anything thats decent. Hes very popular around Lambourn and had plans to move right up the upper galllops. He also had a first class tutorledge (especially with early 2yos) with Paul Cole and then learned about dual racing with David Elsworth when he was at whitsbury.

He is a shrewd punter as well and nearly had it off in the Spring Cup with Indeed only just beaten at 50/1.....most of yard and immediate neighbours were on.

he gets on with thins quietly and never overstretches. he wanted to move to a bigger yard (36 odd?) as he wants to concentrate on 2yos hoping he can find the right material for a Godophin sell on.

He earns enough from prizemoney and bets to keep the yard going but also does freelance work. The bigger trainers support him (Lambourn is a big family) and lets him gallops his with theirs when he thinks he has a good one.
  • Mugz
    Thanks Hippo. I guess we dont get to know about the buying and selling of horses for profit by trainers which could be significant source of income. On the training fees alone I cant see how you could run a yard with only 15 horses.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Best of the Bets forum

Welcome to Best of the Bets forum, a community of liked minded punters with an interest in horse racing and sports betting.