• dodd
    Just seen this aswell CMB. Must be a bad case
  • CMB
    Yeah not good mate
  • Mugz
    Never known anything like thus in UK. Guardian suggesting the hoses were McCains. Hopefully this has been contained and they can put in place a rigorous testing regime to identify clear horses before they are sent racing in the next few weeks.
  • Mugz
    Thinking aloud, if it has been contained and has been restricted the a few NH yards in the north, then we could see racing in the South on the weekend, particularly if its flat only. Lingfield due to race on Sat. Perhaps add a meeting at Kempton in case Newbury is off.
  • insidethestables1
    Yeh a staged restart is more likely. I was a little surprised they pulled Chelmsford today.
  • Stevie Wonder
    Appreciate it's a serious problem but haven't there been outbreaks in France and Ireland with flu vaccinated horses? Possible over reaction but I guess damned if you do, damned if you don't. :sad:
  • Mugz
    Looking forward to the Hippo updates from Lambourn in due course.
  • Hippo
    Well i was due to go to Sherwoods yard today with an owner but has been cancelled...dont panic, its just they are very busy testing every horse and cleaning boxes etc. No sense of panic and most dont seem over bothered...yet! apparently they are all waiting on McCains runners yesterday results.

Irresponsible the Guardian (and others) comparing with Australia a few years back...all british and Irish horses are vaccinated routinely...none were in Australia so it spread like wildfire. No chance of that here amongst racehorses.....pets may be different of course!

so lambourn is not panicking and all seems to be under control. Apparently the vets are awaiting the "strain" of flu detect that may have got around the vaccine, thatll be the key and its thought it may not be a serious threat, just a tweak in treatments (thats how viruses work...they get used to the vaccine and mutate to get round it). its been caught early and good decision by BHA even though little risk.

So the message seems upbeat. The Lambourn trainers are meeting later today to discuss so we may now more in time
  • Doubler
    From what I have been reading the influenza virus has a 2week incubation period. So I guess no racing in Britain for that period to make sure it's kept under control.
  • insidethestables1
    Could be worth getting stuck into the Irish horses in the Cheltenham markets, given the English runners may miss their prep races now.
  • Doubler
    The BHA have announced that there will be no racing in Britain until Wednesday 13th of February at the earliest.
  • tipper
    i think cheltenham is 5/1 to get cancelled which is short
  • Hippo
    Lambourn trainers met this afternoon and support the BHA move as "sensible". Nothing yet untoward at Lambourn but then again I dont think there were any runners at Ayr. Before people panic too much, it is NOT the Ayr runners who have proved positive, but its sensble to test all the runners who did and it will take 3 days to find out.

Tipper, 5/1 is not short...that means its 1/7 to go ahead. i do not sense any panic and the Irish authorities acted very quickly to isolate the Ayr runners.For once this is a good example of the BHA working with trainers and owners and all seem happy to comply.

A nervous 3 day wait but certainly down here there is no belief that there is a problem. It can not be compared to the Foot N Mouth issue that cancelled Cheltenham. Moist trainers here are hopeful theyll be running next week. Fingers crossed
  • herbie
    So surely 5/1 is short as you are effectively saying you feel/hope it’s a 25/1 chance?
  • Mugz
    I dont see this lasting long. They need some time to get results back and for symptoms to show, so by Mon/Tue we should know if there is any spread. Fingers crossed we will be back in action on Wed. Thanks for the update Hippo.
  • Hippo
    Herbie 5/1 is massive in a 2 runner race.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Best of the Bets forum

Welcome to Best of the Bets forum, a community of liked minded punters with an interest in horse racing and sports betting.