• AKD
    A very open looking handicap as the betting also suggests, apart from perhaps Water Wagtail other 5 all have some sort of chance. Vandredi Trois and Fr Humphrey are in form having fought out the finish at Kempton 3 weeks ago, while I respect their chances I feel this veterans chase could be a good opportunity for those that haven’t won for a long time. Dandridge and VALADOM (5/1) both have done their running at a higher level in the past and now look well handicapped. Dandridge hasn’t won since January 2016, and has the advantage of Tom Buckley able to claim extra 3 lbs for his new boss Charlie Longsdon, who does very well in these veterans races (6 from 39, +15 LSP). My doubt is about the distance, as Dandridge has never run beyond and 2 and half miles and I am not sure about trying a new distance at this late stage of his career, he has a good chance if he stays though. I prefer Valadom, whose last win was almost exactly 3 years ago from a 11 lbs higher mark than today. He has continued to run consistently in some good races though, placing 5 times from 18 since that win. Beaten 20+ lengths on last two starts when finishing 3rd of 8 & 4th of 7 at Perth and Uttoxeter respectively, but both were strong races. Has a capable jockey on board in Shane Quinlan. Although Quinlan has ridden just one winner in last 3 months, he hasn’t had many realistic opportunities, only 6 of his rides in this period have been single figure prices - he placed on 5 of them and other one fell when leading. Only a small bet due to nature of race and also because selection has to prove fitness against race fit rivals.

Selection - Valadom @ 5/1

Good luck.
  • AKD
    Backed down to 9/4 fav, but that proved to be a false gamble as all through the race he never looked like going close. Very disappointing.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Best of the Bets forum

Welcome to Best of the Bets forum, a community of liked minded punters with an interest in horse racing and sports betting.