• AKD
    Looking at the 2nd division of this 2yo maiden. This is usually a good race to watch as it is often won by horses that go on to perform at Listed and Group level. Newmarket trainers usually send a lot of runners for this, but not many this year probably due to heavy going so race may not be as strong as previous years. There are a couple that interest me at bigger prices. One is newcomer WITCH HUNT (20/1), half brother to Group 3 (2yo) winner Antonia De Vega, dam Witches Brew was Listed placed twice and related to Group 1 winner (and 2000 Guineas 3rd) Al Wukair, and to Group 3 placed Dream Today, so the pedigree is really nice. David Menuisier’s horses are better for the experience though, his record on 2yo debuts is 1 win from 31 (winner was 33/1 as all his newcomers tend to be big prices), that winner went on to win at Group 3 level later on, in fact all his horses that win or place on debut tend to be better quality, it shows he doesn’t train them to win on debut but they can because of raw ability. Not expecting much today, I think whatever he does today he will improve on it next time, but having a very small bet just in case.

Other one I like is, PHOENIX AQUILUS (10/1), he did surprisingly well when finishing 2nd @ 66/1 over this c&d. Surprising because he comes from another yard not known for 2 year olds. Seamus Durack has never had a 2yo debut winner from 25 runners, and only once before had a 2nd on debut who went on to win next time. His runners do improve 2nd time, from beating an average of 29% of the runners on debut to 49% 2nd time. Admittedly, that race was weakened by some notable non runners due to heavy going, but the winner had placed form twice before, and those behind him included some from top stables. If building on that debut run, he looks a good each way bet.

Only small bets as it’s heavy going, and these type of races are more to watch for future than betting.

Good luck.
  • brian1147
    Always enjoy your write-ups AKD, managed to dutch your two with
    salamanca school (15 to return 50).
  • AKD
    Thanks Brian, and good luck.
  • AKD
    Well done Brian with Salamanca School.

Of my two, Phoenix Aquilus (14/1) ran well for 3rd, Witch Hunt was disappointing, restless in stalls and ran no sort of race by staying in last place.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Best of the Bets forum

Welcome to Best of the Bets forum, a community of liked minded punters with an interest in horse racing and sports betting.