• owenjohn
    I think I may have found a bit of a value horse in the opener at York. In terms of value, I mean that I think it would be a fair bit shorter than the current 9/1 if running for one of the "bigger" stables.

TITUS 1:55 York @ 9/1 (B365)

Declan Carroll has had a couple of nice winners in the past week, as well as a couple of others knocking on the door, which initially got me looking into this one.

A Dansili gelding who moved to the stable from Dermot Weld at the start of the year, so I initially looked back for some early stuff. I found that in May last year, he was still an 20/1 ante-post hope for The Derby, and prior to that (in October 2016) Weld had this to say about him....

“He’s a very big colt with a lot of potential and will probably appear in a Classic trial towards the end of April or early May. What his distance will be next year I’m not sure, but he’s a colt with plenty of pace. He’ll always want good ground and that’s one of the reasons we came here–for the nice ground. He’s 16.2 [hands] and what I like about him is that, for a horse that will probably stay well, he has plenty of pace. I would expect him to be a stakes horse next year. He has an awful lot to learn as he’s never been away before. It’s all new to him and he’s a gorgeous big horse”

The Derby obviously never happened, and he had 3 pretty uninspiring runs for Weld in Ireland last year before making the stable switch. Has had 6 runs this year, with a win at Wetherby in a Class 5 Novice Stakes.
    However has had two interesting runs at York, both over 1 mile 2 and a bit, the form of which really got my hooter twitching!!

In May, 4/ 1/4 length third behind THUNDERING BLUE, who we saw run on very strongly behind Roaring Lion to take 3rd the other day. Then in July a 4th place in the John Smith's Cup, 2 lengths behind THUNDERING BLUE again, and only a neck behind KYNREN who very nearly got to the Johnston record-breaker yesterday, and was well fancied by many.

Claimer Ger O'Neill is onboard again today, and I find him more than capable, which in theory takes the horse's mark down to 87.
    Stepping up in trip, judging by comments on recent runs "Staying On" coupled with Weld's comments about speed etc. Ithink he may benefit from the 1m mile 4.
    I really fancy that this one could be well in today.

And finally, and most importantly of all WHAT A BLOODY GREAT NAME!!

Would love to hear people's thoughts...
  • CMB
    Fancy it also backed Last night
  • Dexy
    I like CALIBURN @14/1 back up to a mile and half here which will suit as will the better ground and off a low weight and a decent draw might go well. Gd luck with yours and a great write up as always :up:
  • owenjohn
    Good Luck fellas, obviously CMB more than you Dexy! :joke: :lol:
  • Rodeo
    well done mate won easy!! nice 8/1 ty :starstruck:
  • Dexy
    Brilliant!! :clap:
  • CMB
    Boom! Lovely
  • fuzzyduck
    Well done ::smile:
  • jambo
    What a start to the day Mate.
  • FLA
    Cherez lad
  • Bodger
    Clever pick oj, VWD.
  • owenjohn
    Thanks all. Buzzing. He did that very nicely, one to keep on the right side of. Be interesting to see what happens to his mark!
  • calvert
    VWD Excellent tipping and good write up
  • moggy
    Spot on with Titus. Thank you
  • finley
    Very well done OJ
  • finley
    I have to say OJ it's great to read your write ups and reasoning....top class my friend.
  • Jeepster
    Just seen this..great write up :up:
  • Mugz
    Well done owenjohn. Another superb tip on BOTB.

:starstruck:
  • coss
    Well done mate
  • owenjohn
    Fancy this TITUS again today in the 3:00 at Donny. Interesting that two horses who finished well down the field in that York race, fought out a Class 2 event worth £38k at Haydock on Sunday, with RESHOUN beating NEVER SURRENDER. Never Surrender had finished 5th, 5 lengths behind Titus, with Reshoun a further 3 1/2 back in 11th place. TITUS obviously had a big hike, but I;m hoping will relish the longer trip. I still like Weld's comments.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Best of the Bets forum

Welcome to Best of the Bets forum, a community of liked minded punters with an interest in horse racing and sports betting.