• owenjohn
    Sunday Sovereign sounds like all the rage today in the Norfolk, but 7/4 is just too short in a 2yo race like this for a small stakes punter like myself.

Looking for some e/w value, and there does seem to be plenty around, I like the look of VENTURA REBEL at 14/1.

I think we are all fully aware of what a shrewd trainer Richard Fahey is, and I don't think he'll be bringing this one here without some kind of a chance. This is Fahey's only runner at the meeting today, and also Hanagan's only ride of the day and his first at the Royal meeting this week. Interesting that he's been plodding away at Thirsk, Hamilton & Ripon, whilst the world's eyes are on Ascot, and is riding up at Ayr tomorrow. Therefore his trip down south today could be a positive pointer in itself.

VR has won both starts thus far, with his latest win coming over C&D at the beginning of May when he beat Wesley Ward's Lady Pauline, half-sister to Lady Aurelia, and at the time supposedly the US-trainer's great hope for the Royal meeting this year. No mean feat you would have thought?!

It's also fair to say that Ventura Rebel has run a bit green both times, slowly away on debut and being pushed along early in the Ascot race, signs that there's a lot more to come. The worry is that he could become oupaced if performing similarly today, but the slower ground could in fact be an aid from that perspective, esepcially given the way he ran on to beat Lady Pauline.

Although Fahey's record with 2 year olds at Ascot isn't great, I do like his recent comments on the horse ...."I honestly wouldn’t swap him for anything in this race. We’re very pleased with him. Physically he’s come forward from his last run. We took him for an away day last week because he hadn’t run for a little while and he went very well. He’s a horse who's progressing." Again a positive coming from a pretty understated trainer.

At around 12/1 (4 places) 10/1 (5 places) I think that there is e/w value in the selection.

GLIYF
  • CMB
    GL mate I've seen a few fancy this EW
  • AKD
    Excellent write up, Owenjohn.

4 previous winners of the conditions race at Ascot that Ventura Rebel won have gone on to run in Norfolk Stakes, although none of them won 3 of the 4 ran well, Zebedee (5th of 12), Log Out Island (2nd of 10), Frozen Angel (4th of 17), so hopefully he will be thereabouts, although Ventura Rebel’s time was about 0.7 secs slower than both Log Out Island and Frozen Angel on similar going.

Good luck,
  • owenjohn
    Cheers fellas. Very interesting AKD, thanks again. I'm hoping that VR has trained on again and that the ground may suit. :pray:
  • peregrine
    well im having a go in this i think course form is worth looking at. so im having expressionist each way.won in similar going and wasnt knocked about to do so.good luck.
  • AKD
    Great selection, he was gaining on the winner with every stride, unlucky but nice placer.
  • peregrine
    nice each way well done. mine as usual missed the break ffs
  • owenjohn
    Cheers chaps, ran into trouble too, checked a couple of times. Chuffed with the run.
  • Mugz
    Jockey made the diff there, Hanagan couldnt make up his mind which route to take and I think it cost him the win.

Great pick though.

:clap:
  • CMB
    Well done mate lovely jubbly
  • Stevie Wonder
    Great write up. Could have won but good profit for place . :heart:
  • rufusf
    WD OJ :smile:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Best of the Bets forum

Welcome to Best of the Bets forum, a community of liked minded punters with an interest in horse racing and sports betting.