• Bodger
    Backed Jamie Osborne's Return To Senders e/w in Leicester 4.40.

It got a comfortable 3rd at 50/1. I backed it at 125/1 with Betfred around midday. Should get 25/1 for the place, I'm sure others on the forum have done better over the years, but that's the biggest priced horse I've ever got a result from.

I know it's aftertiming, but share for interest.

Heard Jamie say this morning that the horse was ''best ignored'' in this race, so naturally I backed it, lol.
  • CMB
    Well done
  • Spindrifter
    i had a 100/1 years ago village green
  • Stevie Wonder
    I backed Arctic Kinsman at Cheltenham in 1992 at 50/1 and Diego Ciao about 14 years later at 125/1 (admittedly that was Betfair).
  • AKD
    Nice one, Bodger, you will always remember it. Biggest priced placer I had was Spring Goddess (100/1) who finished a close 2nd many years ago. As for biggest priced winner, I have had 50/1 twice (although both ended up going off at shorter SP), Foxhaven at Glorious Goodwood & You’re Special at Cheltenham festival.
  • Mugz
    Well done Bodger. 89/1 ante post Champion Hurdle winner Hardy Eustace is the biggest I can remember.

:up:
  • fuzzyduck
    Ivor @ 7/1
    Return To Senders @ 150/1
    Amnaa @ 17/2
    Sneaky Peek @ 5/1
    Lucky 15, 15 bets * £0.10 E/W
    28/05/2019 11:23:48 3.00 25.33

Well done Bodger I had in a 10p e/w lucky 15
  • Bodger
    Thanks guys, all very interesting.
  • Cooler1
    Used to back Clive Britain e/w in the big races nearly always placed at big odds far better return than backing the winner
  • Jeepster
    Had 120/1 for Sue Smith,s national winner Auroras Encore on betfair. Someone put it up on the board as looking like a plot so had a soft £2 on it
  • Hippo
    Oddly i posted (and backed !) a 100/1 winner on here at a minor meeting when Brendan Powell decided to run half his stable in one day (he was already in trouble then) He had 100/1 20/1 AND 6/1winners at one meeting. I did all 6 races in doubles, trebles and accas and won a fortune (as i believe did a couple on here i believe).

ive backed 66/1 winners ante post that have won but my biggest single return was a Tote payout ( in the good old days when you backed blind and the idiots didnt ruin the market as they do now....."oh look Dave the favs 9/2 on the tote and only 6/4 with the bookies..right im having £200 on it...bugger its now 5/4 on the tote! Doh!")

In 1989 i was certain id seen an odd "non trier" of Richard Holders (common in those days...him and Baker used to take the Bristol pee!...oh yes, who rode a lot for him? Oh yes, FA himself, Nicholls! Hmmm!). The odd thing it kept coming 2nd to decent horses, albeit by respectable distances ie ran on when race was over). I was sure it could have won most of them. Anyway, come the day, My long term fancy Black Bucaneer of Jenny Pitmans was 7/2 fav but what was lurking down the bottom at 66/1, Holders horse Ikdam! Now Hills were tinkering with accepting tote bets where you just identified by writing TOTE against your bet. It was the first year. Id backed Black Bucaneer at 16/1 ante post and thought it was a certainty (it had beaten Ikdam twice) but i coulnt ignore the devil in my head that kept saying "Ikdams not been trying!" I had a good few months so i laid out £10ew and proudly wrote "tote odds" across the bet. Altogether i had £30 ew on Bucaneers so started wildly cheering as it hit the front with one to go...it pinged the last and I thought Mark had it in the bag.....but whats that all on its own on the far rail...the one the commentator was ignoring. i could see it coming with a withering run yet he kept ignoring it. So 50 yards from the line the commentator screams "and its Black Bucaneer coming to the line but now joined by.................Ikdam!" My heart sank then jumped again as i had a 66/1 winner of the Triumph! i was in a shop in Slough dancing like an idiot desperately trying to work out what was the best result, then cursing the forecast (why i never know, i never did them!)...then the wait began...silence in the shop as a 66/1 had just won (except one dancing lunatic!)..."why didnt just take the 66/1?" "knowing my luck it will return 23.5/1 or worse".....anyhoo, they started coming out for the next race and no tote return yet! The agony! In truebetting style i said "sod it" and had £30 win on irish horse at 6/1 in the next...and it won! While said lunatic started his dance again...the words boomed over the speakers "we finally have to tote returns for the 1st race at Cheltenham...." no one was bothered but a few noticed the lunatic had stopped dancing and had his head in his hands...."1st No 14 Ikdam".....a massive gap...."win....massive gap....£247.70 and place £64.30"...i nearly collapsed! i did the maths and realised over £3k to come back to a young lunatic on £40 a week! I never bettered it but should have won on Yahoo at 66/1 later in the day when Tom Morgan throw the race away to a beaten Desert Orchid,...but that would have been greedy!

That win has stuck with me as proof your own eyes are the best judge. I KNEW Ikdam had the beating of those horses and it did!
  • micky
    That's weird Hippo, I did Ikdam due to the change in going to soft, I believe (66/1) and also did Yahoo! Annoyingly missed out when Wardrobe Thornton missfired on Sir Rembrandt in the GC. Probably my best were getting 50/1 AP on Sizing John just after Jessica announced it may be going for the Ryanair, post its Jan victory at Thurles. Had Thomas Johansson to win the Aussie Open tennis at 100/1 and my 134/1 tote win this year at the festival will take some beating! Another I remember well was at Cartmel where often horses run twice over the BH weekend. Did a Moffatt second string in a 5 horse selling race, on the tote, was opposing another Moffatt horse which was backed from 2/1 into evens or thereabouts (now these two had faced off two days prior and this fav had come out on top then at I think 7/2 with the said second string at 7/1), well I just kept watching that tote window and watching it drift and drift, popped just 3 quid on for fun and watched it come in by a neck or so ..... 97/1!!!!!! Thanks very much. Most enjoyable was Lord Windermere coming in, had that big on the tote, and finally a rick by Totesport pricing Catalan Dragons to finish bottom first season in the Super League with protected status. 7/2 generally, managed to get 50 quid at 12/1 with the Nannygoat!!!
  • micky
    Most nerve racking - My 40/1 tenner on Red Marauder in the National when it was down to just him and Smarty, bloody hell that mud and that last mile run in took ages!!!!
  • Bodger
    More great recalls there. especially Hippo's!
  • Brandy
    I backed SALIENT at 100/1 when it won its maiden at Lingfield.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Best of the Bets forum

Welcome to Best of the Bets forum, a community of liked minded punters with an interest in horse racing and sports betting.