• Hippo
    https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/paddy-brennan-in-plea-to-social-media-critics-to-recognise-dangers-jockeys-face/376417

Just read this piece by paddy brennan. He makes some great points and very thought provoking. we all have our favs and nemesis (Jim crowley being my albatross at the mo) and while we all are entitled to opinions, it is a timely reminder of the dangers they face, for sport.

years ago, i remember the consistent bombardment of Graham Bradley for pulling horses up. i too was on the bandwagon until I heard Charlie Brooks repeating a quote from the late great Fred Winter. "Aye bradley pulls em up and he thinks hes a superstar, but none come home hurt and they are ready to run again. hes a horseman who knows the difference between a sad and happy horse. All the horses he rides get a good considered ride and WILL be winning when the horses that are sad are in the knackers yard". i remember Toby Balding turning to him on Morley Street way after the golden years had gone. even the owner Michael Jackson (no, not him!), didnt want bradley but Balding said the horse had fallen out of the love with the game and needs rekindling. Bradley sat still on him all race, the whips were out, he was motionless, driving for the line, motionless, jocks either side whipping like wildmen, motionless, then 1 nudge and he wins by a neck with bradders pulling him up immediately. balding classed this as the best ride he had ever seen. Huge praise from the Balding academy that produced Adrian Maguire and AP Mccoy. i followed bradley for two seasons and made a fortune but also watched horses pull up when their chances had gone. the punters moaned, i patted my bank balance!

A great read and quite humbling
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Best of the Bets forum

Welcome to Best of the Bets forum, a community of liked minded punters with an interest in horse racing and sports betting.