• Deleted User
    This post is about you betting horses and being informed and not following mug money or bookies lay off money, Again if its of no interest to you don't read it move on, How ever if it is a post you like say so and I will post more of these. We all like a price and we all want a good price and most of the time we don't get it. there are reasons for this some are our own fault and others are not,
    For many years the starting price was delivered from the ring at the race course and the top three bookies were selected and the starting price as the race went of was the average, But as things have moved on and race course bookies have shrunk due to the increase in online betting and the exchanges the prices are governed and manipulated by the big four so to speak, And for a time betting exchanges played a part but now the once hated by bookies exchanges have become acceptable and another device to control prices because you got it they now own them.
    Bookies have a bag of tricks to control prices and you will find they price up mostly in uniform this is an agreed strategy and everyone benefits, They set out there stall and wait for you the punter to start placing bets, several of there tricks they have a team who set prices and evaluate risk and its there job through the course of the day to keep on top of liabilities, bookies can drive in the price of a horse or drive it out depending on what they want, A horse can get backed in heavy because they have big liability the price will shrink and as they have internet shops track they use something called the pyramid system so it all gets lumped together and they know their collective profit or loss on a race,
    Now just because a horse is being backed off the board that doesn't mean we need to get on, Or our selection we made this morning has less chance it is for the reasons I have told you and is not a true reflection of any hoses chance in the race, A point I gave you on this board a race last week I told you I had the winner which I did, However the fav in that race was a gosden horse it opened 2/1 by the time the race ran it was 5/4 now because gosden has a good record and has many top class horses he will always get badly priced, But the horse I told you won it opened 6/1 and got backed in so the fav should have eased but it didn't and that was because their liability's on it didn't ease.
    My advice to get better paying bets is somewhat simple I suppose make your selections ignore price at the point of selection as this should never influence your decision at this point and only when you have decided look at pricing then shop around to get yourself fixed up at best odds. Bookies don't do individual horses chance pricing it is a numbers game nothing more than that to them. They price according to weight of money.
  • herbie
    Interesting.
    A couple more points if I may.

Backed horses will often drift on course 10-15 mins before the off. This is because on course bookies don’t have the liabilities at higher prices.

You mentioned one horse being backed in as well as your 6/1 chance. One reason they don’t always drift back out is that Betfair will average a 102% book whereas on course (especially night meetings with 15 punters there) will be closer to 130%

Finally did you know Bet365 run the horse racing part of their site as a loss leader. If you can’t win betting with them and their offers you have no chance.
  • Dexy
    unless you're restricted :angry:
  • Deleted User
    No herbie I didn't know that but I do know when you get restricted they pass it round Ladbrokes barred me I was on betdaq they got taken over by Ladbrokes so they closed me down then they bought corral and that was the end there, Today if you bet singles 100 plus you are on a tight rein every ware.
  • Deleted User
    But bet 365 is my home for this summer im hoping lets see how long it lasts.
  • herbie
    100%! been restricted with 365, Paddy’s, Boyles, Laddies and more for ages now :(
  • Deleted User
    IM NOT AS CONNECTED AS I HAVE BEEN SO I MIGHT LAST LONGER IF I LOSE A FEW, LOL
  • herbie
    It’s a combination of winning, getting better prices, (possibly seen as arbing) or having an edge on them. I know more about MMA than their traders and that loses me a few accounts
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Best of the Bets forum

Welcome to Best of the Bets forum, a community of liked minded punters with an interest in horse racing and sports betting.