• malcolm
    No flat turf handicap comp this year the first time since i joined many moons ago
    i know Mugz left it late to post about it but still ample time to get just 10 peeps
    a shocking state of affairs imo :angry:
  • eeza
    Gone so flat on here malcolm, rarely look in any more.
  • Jack Trotter
    Pity could not get ten.

JT
  • Mugz
    It can be setup any time. You in then eeza?
  • brian1147
    At the moment on entering the forum you are greeted by a lot of TTC results, I think i would like to see a general section, tips, systems, discussions.
    Then a section for competitions, TTC,nap of the day.
    I don't know if it would make any difference, but I think something has to be tried.
  • Mugz
    It will be a shame but realistically I think we are looking at closing the site towards the end of the year. I know there are some die hard regulars who have supported the site for many years but I think forums have generally had their day and its all about twitter, instagram etc nowadays. I will give plenty of notice if it happens.
  • Ribot
    I beg to differ, Mugz. I believe the site that is setting the standard is TipsterChallenge.com ; this now has competitions that are free to enter and have cash prizes, and it has a strong, regularly engaged membership. The administrator is investing time and money in a platform that is still totally free. I feel he could start charging a modest annual subscription and still retain a sufficient level of membership to make it financially worthwhile. However, I appreciate that for this site to compete would probably require a wholesale change that you may not wish to undertake.
  • Mugz
    The administrator is investing time and money in a platform that is still totally freeRibot

I think that is part of the problem Ribot. Its obviously a very well put together site with a lot of earning potential if that is the goal.
  • horses4courses
    tipsterchallenge sounds interesting, but I only have so much time
    during the week and have enjoyed my time here. Hoping that continues.

Should this site call it quits down the road, I will find an alternative.
    Until then, I will keep posting here most every day. It's a bit of fun,
    and I don't take things too seriously unless I have real cash on the line.

Thanks for all you do, Mugz. :up:
    It can't be easy - day in, day out.
  • Jack Trotter
    Mugz,

I always enjoy dropping into the site and contributing.

Appreciate all the work you and others do in running the site and if there is anything we can do to help make it better, please let us know.

I would extend this to any member who has any ideas that could help improve the site.

Like horsesforcourses I hope that the site does continue.

JT
  • Stevie Wonder
    I don't post as my educated guesses always ho tips up. That said, I hope the site continues. There are a few on here who are pretty good.
  • calvert
    I hope site continues as we all seem a slmilar bunch of old blokes who enjoy the daily participation .
    Thanks Mugz for all you do .
  • malcolm
    I echo the rest of the bunch and hope you will keep the site going Mugz you've done a fantastic job for many years with your efforts - most appreciated indeed
  • Bodger
    I think that a lot of us have probably died off.
  • Stevie Wonder
    I'm still here - Chris Gordon's runner at Worcester - Who is that - expected to go well with Freddie Gordon claiming 7lbs. Freddie is proving to be a very able aporentice. Should have a big future
  • Ribot

I think Gordon's a shrewd trainer. This is his only runner at the meeting, so they must fancy their chances. Good luck!
  • Stevie Wonder
    Pulked up whilst going well and looking the likely winner. Horse damaged its carpel sheath but should recover. Will be out in the field for the summer. Hopefully will make a full recovery.
  • Mugz
    Pulked up whilst going well and looking the likely winner. Horse damaged its carpel sheath but should recover. Will be out in the field for the summer. Hopefully will make a full recovery.Stevie Wonder

Change of stable might do the trick :wink:
  • AKD
    Just came across this as I rarely look in here now, but feel sad this is what the site has come to having been one of the best horseracing forums at one time with lots of write ups and discussions. I have known Malcolm from AOL message board days from more than 20 years ago, and many of us moved to this forum when message boards closed. I posted under Formstudent name on old site and was among top contributors even after moving to new site until deciding to stop posting due to the nonsense that was going on here.

Mugz is right that forums no longer have the appeal that they used to due to other social media platforms. But it also didn't help that some individuals (it might have been just one person using multiple IDs) were allowed to wreck the forum 3 years ago that saw most of the regular posters leave and set up another forum. I did my best to not get involved and kept posting on my thread, for a time it was the only thread on here that had any horse racing discussion, but I had enough when they decided to drag my thread into it too. I and many others weren't happy at the time with what happened. Anyway it's in the past now and I do hope this forum can keep going for its remaining members.
  • Mugz
    Im sure there were some users who had an agenda to wreck the board, but that has nothing to do with it closing. I dont really believe that as a reason for people not posting though, as we havent had any bother on the board for ages and usage has still declined. I have always been happy to run it for the few that choose to use it but my circumstances have changed and it is not a viable proposition any longer.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Best of the Bets forum

Welcome to Best of the Bets forum, a community of liked minded punters with an interest in horse racing and sports betting.