• peregrine
    I played and to a half decent level. My thoughts are southgates substitutes decisions were quite frankly very poor. The Italians brought on how many ? Where as Southgate with his defensive strategy was cack. Look at the pace we had on the bench yet he just watched and bored us . Your best form of defence is attack ! No good sitting back . Each games different but look at the great attacking teams over the years they never sat back. Score one then they go for more. Tactically he got it wrong. Still on a positive note these are only a young bunch and we could have future top side
  • malcolm
    Firstly i'm Welsh but will always support England as long as they are not playing against but always know the outcome anyway lol - i agree with basically everything you've said there peregrine certainly more substitutions should have been used and to bring those on just for the penalties was abhorrent i think especially for 'em to be in the first 5 - how he didnt use Grealish,Sterling,Shaw is beyond me - and as you say i also think these England players can go on to better things but not with Southgate in charge of the team i'm afraid
  • Mugz
    Its easy to want to do things differently after a loss but this was a marginal loss. Italy are on a very long unbeaten run and are very strong defensively, so I dont think all out attack was ever going to be an option. England too are strong defensively so after going 1-0 up early I can see why they backed themselves to not concede. The downside to letting the opposition have the ball is that they can play themselves into form and after about 20 mins Italy were pinging it about for fun. However they were not really creating much in the way of clear chances, so England were still happy.

Not much changed in the 2nd half, one 25yd shot was well saved by Pickford, but still Italy were not creating good chances. They got some luck with the goal after the shot was pushed onto the post and fell perfectly for Bonucci. Then England had a problem because they had to now go and win it again but had spent so long defending they had forgotten how to attack. They did have a good spell in extra time when Italy had tried and failed to get a 2nd and had almost resigned themselves to penalties.

The 2 sub on 120 mins I do have a big problem with. There were 3 mins added time and England had Rashford at right back. If Italy had scored from a left wing cross in that 3 mins I think Southgate would have resigned by now. Rashford and Sancho looked very nervous waiting to come on and who can blame them. They had hardly touched the ball in the 3 mins they played and were then asked to take the most important shot of their careers. Also asking the youngest player in the team to take pen 5 was a mistake, and I think if Southgate was really honest he will admit that the penalty plans were too much based on practise ground performance, and not enough on feel for the situation. In my opinion Sterling, Shaw and Grealish should have been ahead of Rashford, Sancho and Saka.

In my opinion Southgate has done a great job in getting England so close to winning Euro 2020. He obviously is well respected by the players and a lot of that team will be peaking in the next 4 or 5 years. I think the job is his for as long as he wants it.
  • MrForce
    After watching the game on Sunday, I saw the same England which has been there since Southgate took over. Get a lead hold onto to it. If we nick a second all the better. Scoring so early may have been the worse thing that could have happened & detrimental to the game plan.

Although, it was 1-1, England loss this game in the midfield-attack press, with Rice and Phillips virtually playing as CBs until Italy scored, leaving Kane, Sterling & Saka having to relent from challenging the Italian defence when they had the ball and as a consequence not having enough recovery time when England won the ball because the ball just came straight back after 5 England passes.

I heard folks talking about the subs but Southgate use of subs maybe an area which can be improved upon. When he did make the final subs, I must admit I was sihocked he took off Henderson, even if he did miss one in the friendlies, he only recently scored his debut international goal..

The penalty saga should not really be up for discussion as those who take penalties know, most shy away from taking them unless they have to and dont forget Italy did miss 2 pens also.

I know people will be talking about the future looks bright and all that but you really have to admit, this was one trophy that was there for the taking considering the real big guns, France & Belgium limped out the tournament. Hopefully, if you're England, you dont turn into the Belguim wonderkids and end up with a tag and no winners medals like many previous English wonders.
  • stainless
    Same old England, they never look really hungry to me. The penalty taker's decision seemed strange, I almost felt Southgate put diversity over experience. England never play exciting football IMO.
  • peregrine
    Some constructive views chaps thanks. Rumour of Frank lampard to replace Southgate. What your opinion on that would be put it on.
  • swerver
    I think it's worth pointing out that England have never beaten Italy
    in a knockout tie in any major tournament.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Best of the Bets forum

Welcome to Best of the Bets forum, a community of liked minded punters with an interest in horse racing and sports betting.