• Mugz
    See if you can spot it.

• Jack Trotter
    21 days holiday for Rab Havlin courtesy of the Lingfield stewards.

BHA -

Race 2 - 4:35pm
    THE SKY SPORTS RACING HD VIRGIN 535 NOVICE STAKES (CLASS 5) (PLUS 10 RACE)

An enquiry was held into the running and riding of STOWELL, ridden by Robert Havlin and trained by John & Thady Gosden, which, after breaking well, was settled behind the leaders for the majority of the race, before being urged along under an apparently tender hands and heels ride rounding the final bend and up the straight to finish second, beaten by a diminishing head. The rider and the trainers’ representative were interviewed and shown recordings of the race; the Veterinary Officer reported that two post-race examinations of the colt failed to reveal any abnormalities. The rider stated that his instructions were to settle the colt and ride him to obtain his best possible position. He added that STOWELL was a fragile type who had a high knee action, and that John Gosden had instructed him to ride the colt hands and heels and not to use his whip. Havlin stated that he was happy with his position in behind the leaders but added that the pace had slowed at half-way which he felt had not benefitted the colt. He added that upon entering the final bend he was caught on the heels of SCAMPI, after which he switched to the inside and the colt ran on well inside the final half furlong. He further stated that, in his opinion, the winner was idling in front and therefore it appeared that STOWELL had finished faster than he actually had and that in time, the colt would likely benefit from racing on turf with ease in the ground. The trainers’ representative stated that he was happy with the ride and that it accorded with the instructions given and that they were very pleased with this, STOWELL’s first run. Havlin was suspended for failing to take all reasonable and permissible measures to ensure STOWELL obtained his best possible placing, in that after getting a clear run in the straight, the colt had not been asked for a sufficient effort. Taking into account how well STOWELL ran on up the straight despite being tenderly ridden, and the diminishing distance that the colt was beaten, Havlin was suspended for 21 days.

JT
  • Mugz
    I have some sympathy for the jockey here. Hes on a 16/1 on debut over 12f. There is no way this horse is going to be making all over this trip when he is probably a 16f horse. The fav is 2/9 unbeaten and a winner over 10f so Stowell should be nowhere near this horse until the very end of the race, and so it proved. I know what social media would be saying if the 2/9 shot had been beaten by the 16/1 on the line.
  • peregrine
    Yes watched the race mugz and that ban is a joke. Are these stewards on the pop . It's about time they put those who have been jocks as stewards not fat terds who miss countless other rides which leave those who know just what's going on.in the fiddler's world.i do feel sorry for havlin let's remember a certain ride back in the day of dancing brave in the Derby. You will of course see on a daily basis odd rides. Their is no consistency end of.
  • Jack Trotter
    Yes, I agree very harsh for the alleged offence.

I have looked at this several ways but in the end I tackled it as if I was a punter with a bet on the 2nd horse Stowell and would have just put it down as a near miss and unlucky but through no fault whatsoever on the jockey.

I think they will overturn this on an appeal and understand from the Racing Post report this morning Rab Havlin as lodged an appeal.

JT
  • peregrine
    At the end of the day lads if you had a bet in the race you would have gone e.way on havlins mount as the fav was well odds on and as a punter you would have made a profit ! That is our objective is it not. If say it won ; would they have banned Dettori ! I very much doubt it . Stewards you are a bunch of terds ! :snicker:
  • MrForce
    That's a bit harsh. I personally thought the horse was green. 21 days suggest inconsistent Stewardship throughout the land.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Best of the Bets forum

Welcome to Best of the Bets forum, a community of liked minded punters with an interest in horse racing and sports betting.