• peregrine
    Looks like Doris and his cronies AVE done jo public for chelts/ meydan/grand national. Absolute bollocks this is. Supermarkets have stayed open period. Now yes we have to eat blah blah. But ffs hundreds of people in them daily. In the bookies you had a 10 minute visit. And only 6 people allowed in at that time. Yes you might ask do an online account. But I have my reasons. I'm going to post 3 horses that I fully expect to make money. 2 at meydan and the other at wolves. When these run I'll post . Good luck chaps my rant over
  • Stevie Wonder
    A f ***ing virus which 99.9% of healthy people survive without harming the NHS. Definitely the case of the cure being worse than the disease. If you were vulnerable, then isolation/lockdown unfortunately the only option until jabbed. The rest of us should have been allowed to keep calm and carry on! These restrictions over the last year are a bad joke and Neil Ferguson needs to be shot. He f***ed up big time in 2001 on foot and mouth due to his riduculous mathmatical models and he f***ed up im March 2020.
  • peregrine
    This bunch are going to face lots of questions that's for sure. One which stands out for me is. When Mr van tam was asked early in the pandemic about letting people fly in and out of the country . He replied the virus is HERE and it WONT make any difference . I thought am I hearing things ,! That was utterly beyond beggars belief . And I have no doubt that ignorance has been a major factor on the numbers of unfortunate victims of the virus. The proof is that like new Zealand who banned people flying in and out is for all to see .
  • peregrine
    Sorry if I've upset any members but like lots of people we are very frustrated !
  • Stevie Wonder
    Look at Sweden - they've used common sense and have not destroyed their economy. Yes they've had covid surges and then remissions - just as you'd expect with any virus! There are currently about 20000 patients in hospital with 'covid' in the UK. Many are of course in hospital with other ailments and have tested positive for covid. BTW there are over 2000 hospitals in the UK and 1.2 million people working in the health service. Do the maths! Obviously some hospitals are still inundated but most are not! Unfortunately about a million of the employees are overpaid bean counters (I jest on these numbers but you know what I mean). The collateral damage occuring from people not being treated with treatable diseases, the psychological damage to many people (especially the young) and the decimation of small businesses makes me very angry. And I can't go to my local bookies to read the RP !
  • peregrine
    Yes seems a good idea to me .
  • Stevie Wonder
    Have no problem with that (apart from disagreeing with the farce of lockdown and the untold damage to health and the economy)!
  • Stevie Wonder
    Good article - yes it is the Daily Mail - could have written it myself! These Sage scientists need to be halted and their pension rights removed!

Dr JOHN LEE: Why should the whole country be held hostage by the one in five who refuse a vaccine?
    By Dr John Lee For The Daily Mail
    00:56 24 Feb 2021, updated 01:04 24 Feb 2021

shares
    5.3k comments
    There has been nothing slapdash about the Government’s presentation this week of the case for keeping us all locked down in an ever-more depressing loop of lockdown extensions.

The Prime Minister’s announcement cancelling Christmas last year seemed hasty and ill-prepared. By contrast, the move this week to cancel Easter and keep the economy shut down was better planned, with dossiers and scary graphs based on dubious modelling.

To justify keeping us in cold storage for another four months, the PM leaned on his reliable allies in Sage.

The more Sage gets wrong, the more Mr Johnson clings to its view of the pandemic.

Few politicians have any understanding of science, so they become captives of their most cautious adviser, and fail to question the validity of their data and advice.

The Prime Minister¿s announcement (pictured) cancelling Christmas last year seemed hasty and ill-prepared
    Ignorance

Take the PM’s confident assertion on Monday: ‘As the modelling released by Sage today shows, we cannot escape the fact that lifting lockdown will result in more cases, more hospitalisations and, sadly, more deaths.’

Mr Johnson’s use of the word ‘fact’ is revealing in that context, as it suggests a fundamental ignorance of the uses and limitations of modelling.

You do not deduce ‘facts’ from modelling, but ranges of possibilities, which by their very nature fluctuate wildly according to the assumptions used and the data submitted.

Hence the highly contentious figure of 500,000 deaths that was posited by an Imperial College scientist at the beginning of the epidemic, which to be fair was not a prediction, but an extrapolation of a worst-case scenario.

That, of course, did not stop the figure being seized upon by the media and used by the Government to justify the first lockdown.

Now, based on similarly faulty methodology, we are asked to believe Sage and its modellers’ claim that 91,000 more people will die if lockdown is lifted ‘too early’.

In a worst-case scenario, the additional death toll could reach almost 150,000.
    Besides, this is not how modelling is supposed to be applied to political decision-making that affects the economic future of this country.

Now, based on similarly faulty methodology, we are asked to believe Sage and its modellers¿ claim that 91,000 more people will die if lockdown is lifted ¿too early¿. Pictured: Chief Medical Officer Chris Whitty, Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Chief scientific adviser Sir Patrick Vallance during Monday's media briefing
    If you allowed your life to be governed by worst-case scenarios, you would never drive a car or get on an aeroplane. Risk is there to be mitigated, not eliminated.

Moreover, this approach ignores the key fact that evidence from around the world, reported in the journal the Lancet at the end of last year, shows there is very little correlation between legal restrictions and the rate of infection.

There are numerous ways in which the modelling can be faulty. For a start, it assumes that in lockdown, everyone is obeying the rules, when in fact common sense, and your own eyes, tell you that many are discreetly ignoring them.

This is particularly so in rules — or laws! — banning family contact, which many people regard as disproportionate and cruel.

The initial justification for lockdown, you may remember, was to protect the NHS. Well, the NHS did not fall over, though it was mightily tested and subject to its annual seasonal overload.

Now, despite the superb progress being made with vaccination, Mr Johnson and Sage have alighted on a new justification to keep the country locked down — vaccine refuseniks.

Sir Patrick Vallance, Chief Scientific Adviser, suggests the Government is working on the assumption that 20 per cent of the population will decline the offer of a vaccine.

Indeed, although uptake is currently running at over 90 per cent, as the vaccine is rolled out to younger groups this figure will likely decrease.

If you add into the mix the children who will not be vaccinated, Vallance suggests, and an 80 per cent vaccine efficacy, then ‘you’ve got roughly 50 per cent [protected] across the whole population’.

Sir Patrick adds: ‘So it tells you that even at quite high levels of coverage and protection, you’ve still got a large number of people unprotected.’

Sir Patrick Vallance, Chief Scientific Adviser, suggests the Government is working on the assumption that 20 per cent of the population will decline the offer of a vaccine
    But this logic is faulty. For a start, children are almost entirely unaffected by the virus. And anyway, why should the country be held hostage because one-fifth of the population decline to protect themselves?

It could turn out to be a hugely inflammatory approach — those who have had the vaccine may feel resentment towards refuseniks blamed for perpetuating the lockdown.

In any event, there is good reason to believe that the R rate will stay low because we are moving towards summer, when seasonal viruses fade away of their own accord.

Exposure

The flu-like symptoms experienced by many people who have had the Oxford jab may actually suggest that many have a pre-existing degree of immunity, either from a mild case of Covid, or from exposure to a previous coronavirus.

But, ultimately, having the vaccine must be a matter of personal choice. If people will not be jabbed, that is their right, and the Government’s job should be to explain to them the consequences.

As for children, when they return to school next month, it will be reported that ‘cases’ are ‘soaring’ again. But that will be because there is to be a vast expansion of testing in the classroom as well as at home by their parents.

It is infuriating to see ‘case’ numbers being reported as rising when the key determinant, the number of tests, is never given.

And many of these test results will be false positives. Even assuming a very low level of 1 per cent false-positive results, a million tests per day would mean 10,000 apparent ‘cases’ per day (roughly the current rate), even if the virus had completely disappeared!

To justify keeping us in cold storage for another four months, the PM leaned on his reliable allies in Sage. The more Sage gets wrong, the more Mr Johnson (pictured at a London school yesterday) clings to its view of the pandemic
    Additional testing will inevitably suggest a surging infection rate, but the numbers are meaningless unless taken with the essential details about the accuracy of the tests — details which are never referred to.

I sense that Mr Johnson now recognises the troubling truth that Covid has become endemic in our population, and that it will continue to evolve new variants.

Damage

Regrettably, we may unintentionally have encouraged more serious variants with lockdowns instead of allowing milder variants to circulate and ultimately prevail.

The science behind fighting Covid is difficult, and politicians need all the help they can get to interpret it correctly. Sadly, Mr Johnson has repeatedly retreated to his comfort redoubt of a handful of key advisers who seem wilfully blind to the fact that their recommendations are tearing apart the fabric of our society.

He needs to draw upon a wider circle of medical and scientific advisers, particularly those who can speak to the long-term consequences of lockdown. Instead, we seem to have reached a peak of risk aversion in a country which once prided itself on its sense of proportion.

Worst of all, the continuing actions are hugely counterproductive. If you damage the economy, you damage the healthcare system, as you impoverish the population by destroying jobs and businesses.

The economy is vital to healthcare. Countries that grow poorer develop worse health outcomes, and you don’t need a computer model to work that out.

Share or comment on this article: Dr JOHN LEE: Why should the whole country be held hostage by the one in five who refuse a vaccine?
    shares
    5.1k comments

MOST READ NEWS

Tiger Woods was 'agitated and impatient and almost hit another car as he sped out of five-star...

Merkel admits -'We are in coronavirus third wave': Germany is in the grip of pandemic as it defends...

Judge rules Muslim woman in her 30s who gave birth after contracting Covid at 32 weeks pregnant...

Boris under more pressure to put his foot down on 'road to freedom' as Britain records just 8,489...

Gerard Depardieu is charged with rape: French actor, 72, is accused of attacking a young actress in...

Carrie gives Boris a well-overdue chop! Piers Morgan reveals PM's fiancee has FINALLY given him a...

School's IN for summer: Secondary pupils and all children leaving primary school will be offered...

Walking to her doom: Final moments of pregnant wife 'pushed to her death by husband after he duped...

Ring of steel around traveller funeral: More than 100 police close off roads to enforce Covid rules...

Nicola Sturgeon reveals rival roadmap out of lockdown: Scotland will begin 'signficant return to...

Staycation rip-off! Prices for UK holidays this summer ROCKET by up to 100% after Boris announces...

'Broken' mother reveals her 'hellstorm of grief' after daughter, 4, accidentally hanged herself when...

Aerospace company worker was sacked for calling white colleague with a black wife and mixed race...

The proof Sturgeon 'lied' that Scottish prosecutors don't want you to see: Civil servants refuse to...

Why lockdowns DON'T always stop thousands dying of Covid: Britain has had some of the toughest rules...

Teenager missed out on £178m EuroMillions jackpot when ALL seven of her ticket's numbers were out by...

DON'T MISS
    'I would have never let go of my marriage': Strictly's Karen Hauer reveals hurt over divorce from Ke...
    Pregnant Ellie Goulding appears in public for the first time in FIVE MONTHS after announcing her bab...
    'If you're a Friends fan, this will ruin your life': Jennifer Aniston's 'vocal tic' is exposed by Ti...
    Game Of Thrones actress Rose Leslie holds hands with husband Kit Harington as he carries their newbo...
    Tiger Woods was 'agitated and impatient and almost hit another car as he sped out of five-star resor...
    'He was gagging and being sick': Lucy Mecklenburgh reveals baby son Roman choked on an apple in a 's...
    Could THIS new revolutionary supplement be the answer to better hair, ...
    Ad Feature
    Piers Morgan's wife Celia Walden reveals the couple have installed a panic button next to their bed ...
    Amanda Holden, 50, makes the most of the sunshine in a VERY short bouclé suit... after police visit ...
    Lottie Moss puts on a sultry display in a plunging lace-up crop top... after revealing her family is...
    Kids going back to school? Don't worry it's not too late to kit them o...
    Ad Feature
    'That's a dumb question!' Jason Derulo does little to hide his indignation when asked why he sings h...
    Pregnant Jessie Ware unveils teaser for her new music video with Gemma Arterton strolling the eerily...
    Irina Shayk strikes a pose in bright green wig as she shares behind the scenes clip from Vogue Russi...
    Olivia Attwood wows in a white crop top as she films series 2 of her reality show with fiancé Bradle...
    Luke Evans, 41, shows off his ripped physique as he splashes about with Brazilian model Gustavo Nasp...
    'They were pulled apart!' Pauline Quirke's friendship with her Birds of a Feather co-stars ended 'af...
    Liev Schreiber dons a military uniform and brandishes a gun as he prepares to film action-packed sce...
    Danielle Lloyd flaunts her peachy bottom in a white lace bikini as she plugs her OnlyFans with racy...
    The Witcher's Henry Cavill sends fans into a frenzy as he teases a 'secret project' while dressed in...
    'There's a lot of people trying to do their best': Dr Alex George believes 'some' Love Islanders are...
    How Tiger Woods' 15-minute car journey from five-star resort to a golf club ended with his car smash...
    'We felt lucky we were able to get a wedding': Colin Jost reveals how he 'snuck in' nuptials to Scar...
    'We feel broken to the core': EOTB's Ashley Cain reveals his baby daughter Azaylia's leukaemia has r...
    FKA twigs claims it was a 'big relief' to speak out publicly against Shia LaBeouf after accusing him...
    Ricky Gervais claims TV is being 'watered down' as fearful execs are second guessing what will offen...
    Inside Sophie Wessexes' Bagshot Park home: Royal fans spy intimate family photos and a shot from Wil...
    Romee Strijd shows off her incredible physique in a slew of sexy bikinis as she pines for summer in ...
    Sacha Baron Cohen says his divisive roles are 'just his little bit to fight for democracy' as he cle...
    Ashley Roberts takes inspiration from 90s classic film Clueless in a plaid mini skirt and knitted ve...
    MORE TOP STORIES
    © Associated Newspapers Ltd
    Contact usMobile apps
    View desktop siteAdvertise with us
    SyndicationTerms
    Privacy & cookiesHow to complain
    Do not sell my info
  • calvert
    Could this be an "OMEN" For Grand National "Tiger Roll"
  • peregrine
    The grand national is staying at the original date just announced on the tele. Ah well that means I won't have to put bets on for those who enjoy their once a year punt. Don't know what I'll tell me budgie/ dog / goldfish.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Best of the Bets forum

Welcome to Best of the Bets forum, a community of liked minded punters with an interest in horse racing and sports betting.