• Stevie Wonder
    Off topic but does anyone find the going to a pub experience pretty average since they've been allowed to re-open? I used to go down regularly for a bit of peace and quiet from the current Mrs Wonder, propping up the bar and have a bit of banter with the locals and chat with the barmaid if inclined. Now seems a completely different experience akin to visiting a Spoons pub. Might be just me but sitting in a corner doing the telegraph crossword has never been my forte. Surely as v few people in intensive care due to CV but loads of people being tested positive indicates that virus is now not as lethal and we should get back to normal asap whilst protecting elderly and vulnerable. Masks have gotta be a complete waste of time in shops/supermarkets if you exercise sensible distancing and don't have cold/cough/ sneezing ailments. And why can't a few thousand people go to a race meeting where there is loads of open space to allow social distancing? Economy decimated and our former way of life shafted. Plus loads of people denied testing and treatment for other illnesses which may well result in premature deaths not related to CV. Common sence should prevail - I'm very sceptical of the scientists advising HM goverment. They seem to have totally miscalculated and trashed the UK economy. Rant over.
  • Stevie Wonder
    I'll take that as a 'no'
  • Mugz
    The Govt have completely messed up their strategy. We should have had masks on in March, but no, they had not provided enough for key workers so couldn't risk them not having stocks decimated by public demand. Now I agree the risk is minimal providing those who are most vulnerable are cared for properly which they clearly weren't in care homes at the start. Not really bothered about pubs, I would have gone in a few country pubs while out and about but the whole process of registering, booking, track and trace etc is just a turn off.
  • tipper
    they should just get back to normal, remove the plastic screens at counters (i've yet to see one with any form of saliva dribbling down it) just let people carry on how they used to and get on with life, if your not happy with it `and feel at risk stay home and stay safe if your faint hearted
  • MrForce
    I'm sorry but from a total hygenie issue I think plastic screens should remain, forever.
  • Stevie Wonder
    Mr Force, in order to achieve decent immunity, we need to be exposed to bacteria and viruses. Why do you think that kids today have so many allergies? It's because homes are too bacteria free thanks to overuse of dettol. We need to pick up a few bugs for our long term well being. I'm not suggesting doing Les Patterson at the bar and i'm in favour of sensible behaviour but a big NO to those screens
  • finley
    Remove masks, screens the job lot, sooner live life and stop being so fearful, I'm willing to take my chances,if I fall off my perch tough shit.
  • Kneeejerker
    Welcome to the New World ,A step closer to a cashless society

If you visit a call girl frequently,your bank statement would read

Blow jobby £6.50p
    Tea bagging £5 for one £7 for 2
    Rimming £25 + extra for large @
    @ £40 with rubber, £75 without
    Pearl necklace £14.50p
    Golden shower £10

not owa sure where you swipe the card like :cool:
  • Stevie Wonder
    You may well be right KJ - It's all leading to digital payments and control by evil banks - every expenditure you make being recorded including a H E at your local massage parlour!
  • Kneeejerker
    Hi Stevie I think Sweden is the highest with about 80% cashless transaction.UK is rising rapidly.
  • MrForce
    I personally think that all bookmakers should have screens between patrons and employees.
    You comment about bacteria and bugs maybe correct but not that many people are tidy or care about persoanl hygenie. Allergic kids could be a simple enviromental thing like car fumes (more cars about now than ever), lack of trees & grass, no pub on every corner :rofl:
  • Stevie Wonder
    You're right aboit the enviroment - many more diesel emmissions with micr particles can't be good for kids to breathe in. Still think there might be a link between over sanitised enviroments and kids losing immunity. Regarding Covid, still think they should let nature should take its course. -perhaps even encourage the young to go party , get a dose and gain immunity..
  • Mugz
    afriend wnants to know whats a H E?
  • Tattcorner
    As an avid Enid Blyton reader Mugz, I believe it's ..erm, a Happy Ending.
  • Stevie Wonder
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12507973/lockdown-free-brazilian-city-herd-immunity-coronavirus/

A CITY in Brazil which did not lockdown may have reached herd immunity, experts have said.

Manaus, in the Amazon, has seen a dramatic fall in coronavirus cases and deaths since hitting 3,300 fatalities.

The city of two million people was once one of the world's hardest-hit, with drone images taken in April showing mass graves and burials occurring at five times their normal rate.

But last week, Manaus saw its “excess deaths” drop to almost zero - as tests suggested that around 20 per cent of the city’s population had been infected with the bug.

Jarbas Barbosa da Silva, assistant director of the Pan American Health Organisation, told The Washington Post: “The hypothesis — and this is just a hypothesis — is that the peak we had in Manaus was very strong, and there was such widespread community transmission that it may have produced some kind of collective immunity”.

Mr Barbosa said that the fall in cases suggested a “natural dynamic”, rather than the effect of lockdown or other preventative measures.

However, it is not confirmed whether the fall in cases and deaths could also be due to underreporting in the area.

Herd immunity refers to a population’s resistance to the spread of a contagious disease built up through immunity from infection or vaccination.

Sweden controversially opted against a lockdown in favour of a herd immunity policy set out by state epidemiologist Anders Tegnell.

But the policy proved controversial, leading to the world's sixth highest per capita death rate - with care homes hit particularly badly.

New research, reported by The Times, showed that levels of combined T-cell and antibody immunity could be more than 30 per cent.

Dr Tegnell insists that this level of immunity "makes it easier to control the outbreaks than when there is no immunity at all among the population".

^
  • Stevie Wonder
    Must be true - it was in the Sun
  • Mugz
    Thanks Tatts. :up: Much better than a tear jerker.
  • peregrine
    As for the cashless society a lot has got to be with fraud . Also the gov want to see how much people have in their accounts. So keeping money in your socks or under the mattress won't be an option. Can't see it becoming a cashless society at the moment. In the future who knows but the gov are slowly but surely trying to control us all. We are just numbers to them and they don't give a shit about the general public full stop. And society is following them by I'm alright jack ! Take a look at the young UN's. A bunch of Mardy arses. Winging about anything and everything. They have no respect . Let's have it right everyone's had to make sacrifices . But those don't think it's fair.
  • Valuefinder
    I think there is an element of that Peregrine. Convinced that the FOBT regulations were driven more by the ability to curb OCG’s from laundering money through them than giving a f*** about problem gambling.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Best of the Bets forum

Welcome to Best of the Bets forum, a community of liked minded punters with an interest in horse racing and sports betting.