• AKD
    First a few trends about the race, but long standing trends do get broken as we saw in one of the races last week so use them with caution. Willie Mullins has won this race for last 3 years, but none of those wins were with his 1st string, he runs 5 today headed by Sharjah, 4 times Grade 1 winner including the Galway Hurdle here. He should be thereabouts but I don’t want to back at a short price in a competitive race like this. Only 1 favourite (in 2014) has managed to win this in last 25 years. There have been no huge shocks in the race though, no horse priced bigger than 16/1 has won since 2001, so most of the winners have tended to come from first 6 in betting. Another important stat has been the performance of 4 and 5 year olds, in last 15 years they have made up 45% of total runners and won 12 of the 15 runnings, with only 3 wins for older horses despite making up 55% of the field. Backing every 4 and 5 year old over last 15 years shows a small profit at level stakes, and it becomes a huge 68 point profit if only horses priced up to 16/1 were backed. And no horse rated higher than 85 has won this in last 10 years.

On to today’s race and I have done a small each way bet on one at a big price, so again not expecting anything, will just be happy if it places. DALILEO (33/1) finished 2 1/2 length 3rd behind Run For Mary over this distance at Bellewstown 3 weeks ago. He is 3 lbs better off today, which puts two of them very close yet there is a big difference in prices as Run For Mary is as short as 6/1. He was a bit disappointing next time over mile and half at the Curragh, and has a little bit to find on that form with the impressive winner Princess Zoe and also Takarengo, both of whom are much shorter prices. But it’s not a huge amount , and return to this longer trip could see him run better. Johnny Murtagh has previously had two runners in this race, they finished 7th (20/1) & 6th (10/), a similar run from this one should mean he is not too far away.

Princess Zoe was very impressive last time and she has a good chance if she stays the longer trip as expected, but at 7/2 is a short enough price now. Grandmaster Flash is another possible along with Kings Vow and the favourite Sharjah in a very competitive race.

Each way bet on Dalileo @ 33/1 (6 places Paddy Power, most others offering 5 places)

Good luck.
  • Maxh
    Good analysis
    4 / 5-year old in the top 6 betting
    Forget the fav
    Narrowed it very nicely
  • AKD
    Thanks Maxh. Yes this time it went according to the trends, I am kicking myself a bit for not backing the winner, she was 7/2 this morning couldn’t back it at that price, if I had known she will end up twice that price I might have had a bit on it.

My selection Dalileo, I backed it 7 places too at 22/1, and just my luck that it had to finish 8th haha, less than a length between 2nd and 8th in a bunch finish.
  • calvert
    Thankx for analysis AKD
  • BONZO
    Sorry but somehow have not been able to start a new conversation so only way I can post this
    speculative Lucky 31 plus one ew single .bet.

Have picked these five selections for a Lucky 31.for last day of flat racing before they revert to NH for rest of the meeting
    4 OH SO FINE 4.45 Gal (Think this will Donnacha his first Galway winner)
    9 TEED UP 5.15 Gal (Ken Condon stable flying)
    11 CHAMPERS ELYSSES 5.45 Gal (Johnny Murtagh gave this as his best chance of a winner)
    5 INN FROM THE COLD 6.15 Gal (The trainer Michael Mulvanny mentioned this one in an interview after he had a winner today)
    1 NEBO 6.45 Gal (trainer had a strong word for this one for Galway after it won last week)

Finally also in 6.45 Galway an EW on the Broghie Man which is currently 33/1 but may be capable of running into a place in this extremely competitive race.
    Best of Luck if you partake
    BONZO
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Best of the Bets forum

Welcome to Best of the Bets forum, a community of liked minded punters with an interest in horse racing and sports betting.