• horses4courses
    Think back to when you first became interested in racing.
    Who were the equine stars around at the time?
    Either on the flat, or national hunt.

For me, it was the late 1960s, early 70s, in the UK and Ireland.
    California has been my home since the late 80s, but my fondest racing memories are my earliest.

Horses like Gay Trip, The Dikler, Kinloch Brae, Sea Pigeon, Night Nurse, Monksfield, and Dawn Run.
    There are countless others as well, but those spring to mind with ease. Great memories.

On the flat, Vincent O'Brien was godlike. Nijinsky and Roberto were my favourites,
    but there were a host of others in the mix. Searching for that horse with the instant
    burst of speed - the ability to leave the others behind in seconds while appearing
    to have expended the minimum amount of effort. Vincent had his share of those.

From around the age of 11, I vividly recall trips to Leopardstown, Phoenix Park,
    The Curragh, plus numerous other courses in Ireland, absorbing the excitement
    of the sport. Seeing the debut of a well meant 2 year old who might make the
    trip to Royal Ascot, or a novice hurdler who had Cheltenham in his future.
    Wonderful creatures who make lasting impressions on racing fans.

Please feel free to add to this thread.
    Your best memories from racing's past, no matter how recent.
  • AKD
    Good read, H4C.

My earliest racing memories are from 90s, my first bet was in the ‘94 Grand National. Although I didn’t back the winner of that, a few days later I somehow backed Mister Baileys @ 16/1 in the Guineas. I had put £5 on it, and for an 18-year old me it was a very nice feeling winning £80, and more than that it impressed all my work mates and they were soon asking my advice on races like I was an expert.

As for stars at the time, for me undoubtedly it was Lochsong, never wanted to miss any of her races. Her burst of speed was amazing and how she would shoot clear of the field, she is still one of my favourite horses. Over the jumps, AP McCoy was starting around that time and I was told by a friend, who had more experience of racing than me, to simply back anything McCoy was riding. That proved to be good advice and we made good profit from his rides especially with Make A Stand. A bit later on, I have some great memories of the brave Persian Punch, my favourite horse. This was a horse that didn’t know how to give up, his battle with Millenary (can’t remember the year) gave me goosebumps and is one of my best racing memories. When he died on the track, it made me sad like I had lost a friend.
  • Mugz
    The reason BOTB exists is probably attributed to Papillon winning the 2000 Grand National. I think that was the first National since I got on the net, and I stumbled upon some tips for the race on the 365 site. I think the tipster put up 4 and got the winner and a place, and Id backed all 4 ew.

I had no real interest in racing before than that although I do remember backing Slip Anchor to win The Derby, and winning the National sweepstake with Party Politics.

It all took off with using the 365 message board and Im sure there are a few still around who remember it. A chaotic place which probably spurned a few forums as members looked around for calmer alternatives.

So that was me into racing and as soon as I started going to tracks, the bug had bitten.

Went to the Derby in 2000, which turned out to be a great Derby with the first 2 both going on to win The Arc, Sinndar and Sakhee. The horse in 4th Best Of The Bests, gave this site its name with a tweak.

My fav horse in those days was Giants Causeway, saw him win The Sussex Stakes at Glorious Goodwood, and his brave 2nd in the Breeders Cup Classic got me into American racing.

I also saw Galileo beat Fantastic Light in a superb King George at Ascot in 2001, and what a superstar he has proved to be.

I probably have more love for handicappers than Group horses on the flat and winning the big handicaps is always memorable. Funfair Wane, Patavellian and Sergeant Cecil are 3 that spring to mind.

My best on course punting day was 2005 Champions Day at Newmarket, loved going up there in early Autumn. Speciosa 25/1, Sir Percy 9/2 and Sergeant Cecil 10/1 made for a memorable day out. Speciosa went on to win the 1000 Guineas in 2006 and Sir Percy The Derby.

You cant beat a day of National Hunt racing on a cold crisp winters day and seeing Kauto Star win his 4th King George by 36L would have to be the best single performance I can remember by a horse at the top level.

So those are a few of the horses from my 'early' racing years, seen plenty of good ones since, but not many better.
  • horses4courses
    Good memories from both of you :up:

I recall Giant's Causeway very well, Mugz
    Unfortunately, with a tinge of financial pain.

With the internet still in it's early days, I used it more than most.
    Aidan O'Brien was on the fence about running GC on dirt in Breeders' Cup.
    A work on the Southwell surface was going to answer his questions.
    This was 2-3 weeks before the race at Belmont. In Nevada race books,
    we could get as high as 30-1 on Giant's Causeway to win the BC Classic.

I remember dialing up websites on Sporting Life and Racing Post that
    morning of the Southwell work. Racing journalists were in unison.
    O'Brien had left the course with a grin from ear to ear. The BC Classic was on.

A work colleague of mine at the time is a huge racing fan.
    I told him the latest on GC. Soon after, he tells me he is headed up the street
    to get down on the horse in the BC Classic. It was late morning here.
    He would bet it for me, and some more for himself. I gave him $100.

You know the rest of the story.
    To this day, I contend that had Chris McCarron ridden GC, he'd have won.
    Tiznow was tough as nails, but the jockey made the difference that day.

Cost me $3K.....my good friend $15K.
    He still loves to talk about it, though. :blush:
  • Mugz
    It was an epic performance by GC, but on dirt pace usually prevails and Tiznow was in the right place all the way round. Its in the Video Vault if you care to remind yourself !
  • horses4courses

I can still see them inside the furlong pole.
    The result is always the same.
    No need to run the video. :lol:
  • Rodeo
    grundy n spanish steps i remember. :wink:
  • horses4courses

Spanish Steps was one of my early favourite steeplechasers.
    As game as they come in the late 60s, early 70s.

Grundy's King George and QE II at Ascot (1975 if I recall)
    in an epic battle with the Queen Mum's Bustino, was one of
    the best flat stakes races I can remember watching.

Great stuff!
  • Rodeo
    ty long time ago yet i can see em running now! ..them wherrr dayyyyyyyss :grin:
  • horses4courses

Absolutely :up:

I read somewhere lately that Spanish Steps lived a grand old life.
    Passed on in 1997 at the well seasoned age of 37. :smile:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Best of the Bets forum

Welcome to Best of the Bets forum, a community of liked minded punters with an interest in horse racing and sports betting.