• yesleb
    With the betting shops and race courses unlikely to open any time soon it looks as though I will have to bet on line. Can you tell me the best and cheapest way to watch live horse racing and should I bet with Betfair or a regular bookmaker? Thanks.
  • Mugz
    Bet 365 let you watch each race you have a 50p bet on. So just put massive acca on and you can watch all day for 50p.
  • Mugz
    I would say if you have a betair account and 2 or 4 of the bigger bookies then thats all you need until you start doing really well. Good luck.
  • yesleb
    Thanks Mugz that's a great help. I'll be pleased when racings back and this site is back to normal. Cheers
  • Mugz
    Less than 2 weeks to go, fingers crossed. I notice they made the start date June the 1st to fit in nicely with our UK TTC. :up:
  • Valuefinder
    I find Will Hill TV decent for the US racing too. On all day for free as far as I know.
  • yesleb
    Thanks Valuefinder I will have a look. Good luck.
  • Dano
    Mugs, Sorry to bother you but like yesleb I’ve never dared open an online account Incase I start getting into using It to much as its easy than going to the local Betfred? But why do u say open 2 or 4 accounts as I was thinking of just opening with Bet365 for the £100 bonus which I can afford but it that a good deal to have more than one account?

Cheers
    Dano
  • peregrine
    Bookies open in 2 weeks and after. Waiting this long ,you might as well hang on imo but it's your choice :up:
  • Mugz
    Hi Dano, It should have read 2 or 3! !

If you get good at the game then you will need multiple accounts, sometimes to get the best prices but often just to get a decent bet on. Until you get to that point then having 7 or 8 accounts isnt going to turn you into a great punter and having 2 or 3 with the big firms is safer than opening accounts with firms with little track record.

You will get best prices with Betfair exchange, but there is commission on top, and some markets just don't have the liquidity to accommodate your stake. In those situations having a bookmakers account is essential to get the bet on.

I think for a new recreational punter opening a Betfair and Bet365 account will be sufficient.
  • Dano
    Thanks Mugs, Appreciated

I’ve been betting 50 odd years and like going to the bookies with cash and collecting cash if I win so I’m always worried if I open an account it will be to easy to sit there and bet most days if that makes sense I’m only like a £5 win £10 win £10 ew kind of punter and I like a patent or a Yankee here and there but I’ve always resisted opening up an account in this internet age because when you give money over the counter and win and collect it back in winnings it feels good lol...

I think if my local Betfred is not opening up till 15th of June I may hold off till then and keep my shrapnel for Ascot...But I will miss putting abet on the Guinneas which I haven’t missed for years!!!

Thanks Again...

Dano
  • Mugz
    Hi Dano,

Online bookies now have to offer a lot of controls to the player as part of responsible gambling. With B365 for example, if you only wanted to have an account to bet on The Guineas you can set the account to shut down on a certain date and time. That would then mean you could not have another bet after the Guineas even if you wanted to.
  • Dano
    Jeez, I didn’t know that at all Mugz...

Thankyou, May call and chat to them now regarding this?

Dano
  • Dano
    So in theory I can set up an account for Friday the 5th until after Royal Ascot on Monday 22nd when hopefully Betfred will be back open for the rest of the season!

Is that right Mugz...

Regards
    Dano
  • Fuzzybear1649140
    Dano, if you are that concerned about opening an online betting account, why are you even contemplating it?
    Keep your powder dry till betfred reopens but the choice is yours.
    Good luck
  • Dano
    I’m concerned because I’ve got no will power lol...

If I open an account and I’m sitting there watching racing and a jockey or trainer comes on giving it large about a horse I’m gonna get on if I’m sat watching with my iPad and phone as it will be so easy and you know how bad they are at tipping lol...

And the honest reason is why I’ve never wanted to bet online is because I love giving them money over the counter and if I win it feels like I’ve won rather than online where your not collecting your winnings if that makes sense to anyone who feels the same...

Thanks though Mugz and Fuzzy but I’m gonna wait till the shops open have a cup of tea with some mates in the shop study form pick all the winners and collect when I win...Yeah Right!!!
  • Mugz
    Dano,

if you are happy with your shop bets and have lasted this long without needing to have a bet, then you are in control and I would advise you to stick to it.

Feel free to tip up whatever your backing for the Guineas on here. :up:

Good luck.
  • Dano
    Thanks Mugz, I won’t bet now until I can go to a shop which I think they will reopen just in time for Royal Ascot Week...

As for as the Guineas go Pintabu is to short so I would have probably gone each way on Threat and Quadlirateral at 3/1 in not a bad price Fav at the minute...

Good luck this year Mugz...

Dano
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Best of the Bets forum

Welcome to Best of the Bets forum, a community of liked minded punters with an interest in horse racing and sports betting.