• Tattcorner
    I was just reading the article that the Guardian published on Thursday 2nd April.

Now the police don't want you to sit alone for a few minutes on a park bench but a short while ago it was OK to be in the packed stands at the racecourse (see picture).

Did anyone on here go?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/apr/02/cheltenham-faces-criticism-after-racegoers-suffer-covid-19-symptoms
  • peregrine
    Yes good point this and how many got infected at the meeting? Highly unlikely we will never know.but did some owners catch it.thornton caught it but was he at Cheltenham ? Also on a different note up in Manchester that money grabbing pat karney held a st Patrick's march .unbelievable in my mind and he says on the government's instructions .that makes me wonder it any of those present that day were infected and passed it on :chin:
  • Tattcorner
    You have to applaud Cheltenham for putting in all the hand sanitisers but punters with very clean hands were jam-packed together which didn't stop the virus getting into the eyes for instance.
    Anyway, what's done is done and we just have to keep our distance now to stop more infection.
  • Dadeo
    Not saying it was right or wrong, it is easy to be wise after the event. It is poor journalism in my opinion. The better story simply has to be about the 2 million + Londoners using the tube on the same day.
  • Mugz
    There was no lockdown when Cheltenham was on. There was lots of football still being played and it wasnt until the Saturday that events started being banned. Impossible to say the part Cheltenham played in spreading it, I would say minimal considering the Tube was still running and the airports were still bringing in thousands a day without checks.
  • peregrine
    Read article stating one of the reasons Cheltenham wasn't cancelled was of Boris Johnson going to the rugby. I sincerely hope Boris gets through his battle with the virus and anyone who has it or gets it. Bit concerning too me how a lot of people aren't wearing masks .look at china nearly everyone has one on.i know it's hard finding any in the shops but if you see any get them.
  • Mugz
    Im not sure on masks. I think they prevent you transferring it but dont do much to prevent you getting it. If you want to avoid getting it, keep your distance, wash your hands religiously and dont go rubbing your face without washing your hands first.
  • Fuzzybear1649140
    Interesting article in mail online today about Cheltenham
  • Archie
    There were champions league games that week also,spainish in England, Italians in Spain!!!!!!!!
  • Tattcorner
    The lady with the fancy mask (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-51835762) is speaking on this podcast along with Fergal O'brien and others.
    Some adverts around midway, but otherwise quite an interesting listen :

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/podcasts/stories-of-our-times?utm_source=TheTimes&utm_campaign=TheTimesSOOT&utm_medium=in-paper&utm_content=SOOT
  • Mugz
    Cant believe they are still talking about it. Is it because of the idea that people were enjoying themselves at Cheltenham, whereas the millions going through train stations and airports and supermarkets at the same time were doing so out of necessity?
  • horses4courses
    With all the Irish punters that went to Cheltenham, there were very few confirmed cases afterwards of those who attended. It's water under the bridge now anyway.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Best of the Bets forum

Welcome to Best of the Bets forum, a community of liked minded punters with an interest in horse racing and sports betting.