• Mugz
    CHELTENHAM GOLD CUP

Clan Des Obeaux is 9/1 with 1 bookie, 8/1 with several others, which is a surprise to me. He was a very impressive winner of the King George, and goes to straight to the festival without a prep this year. Last year they went to Newbury in Feb, and they might feel that it took the edge off him. Age wise he is spot on at 8, the ave winners age in the last 10 years is 7.9.

Just rewatched last years race and there were no obvious excuses, but the first 3 were all held up and finished strongly, CDO tracked the pace with Native River who finished just ahead of him in 4th.

Im not saying Al Boum Photo wont repeat that win, and at 4/1 will see plenty of money, but I think CDO represents good value at 9/1, and if he is going to win a gold Cup then this looks to be the year.

In the 2019 KG he was laying up with top class speed horses on a speed track, and easily pulled away from them at the end. In the 2018 KG he looked more of a stayer, looking better the further he went, so I'm not buying into the theory that he doesnt stay 3m2f.

• peregrine
    As I've pointed out on clan des obeux if the going has good in it and it isn't a bog it will go very close imo. It rained last year and Paul nicholls wasn't happy.they train their horses all year for the big one hoping they get there in one piece and have the right conditions. Remember the other year when on the first day all Mullins horses odds on got stuffed. he threw his toys out of his pram ordering the Cheltenham staff to water or he was withdrawing all his horses. How's that fair on all the other trainers who aren't as big .yes the welfare of the horses should come before anything else.but in any other sport you can't have it just to suit yourself. ie football you can't call a game off if you players out injured.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Best of the Bets forum

Welcome to Best of the Bets forum, a community of liked minded punters with an interest in horse racing and sports betting.

More Discussions