• owenjohn
    I just can’t help but think that, no matter what a tough cookie Mark Johnston may or may not be, he would probably want Joe Fanning to ride the horse that breaks the record for most wins for a UK trainer. i.e. his next winner.
    I know that there isn’t really place for sentiment in sport, but you do get “fairytale stories”.
    Let’s look at the facts with Johnston chasing that elusive 4,194th winner!

Since MJ started training in 1988 he has sent out a total of over 27,000 runners, and Fanning has ridden over 7,300 of them (27% of all the rides the trainer has ever sent out!)
    Franny Norton is Johnston’s next most used jockey with 1,740+ rides, however this means that Fanning has ridden 320% more of Johnston’s horses than ANY other jockey!

Fanning’s earnings for Johnston total OVER £13 MILLION, Kevin Darley next best at just over £4.7M.

A total strike rate for the duo of 16% is ultra-impressive over such vast number of rides and years.

Fanning rode the record-equalling runner, Dr Richard Kimble, on Saturday, but has not been on any of the 7 unsuccessful rides since. Yesterday, Johnston had 3 unsuccessful runners at Leicester, whilst Fanning went to Thirks for one ride and one win for Keith Dalgleish (another ex-MJ stable jockey)

Today MJ has 3 entries, and Fanning is on one, his first ride for the yard since the record-equaller…..

POETS PRINCE 2:50 Hamilton 10/1
    a 3 year old who looked very progressive in the early part of the year, with a March - May record of….1-2-1-2-1-2 (admittedly all the wins coming on the a/w). 4 runs since have been more disappointing, though 3 of them have been in Class 2 events (Class 3 today), which has seen the gelding’s mark drop back down to 90 for today (same mark as the final 2nd place in May).

“Sentimental”, “Fitting”, “Fairytale” I can’t help but think that it would be great if Glasgow-born Johnston broke the record at Hamilton Park, the course on the doorstep of where he was born, and if his most loyal of all legionnaires was onboard.

Having said all that if he wins the 1:20 with PJ MacDonald onboard, ignore this post and all the drivel within!! :lol:
  • AKD
    Excellent write up, hope it’s rewarded with a winner, good luck. I have done a lucky 15 on Mr Fanning’s four rides, so hoping he has a good day.
  • finley
    Yep, great write up O.J
  • JOEMUGG
    "but has not been on any of the 7 unsuccessful rides since. Yesterday, Johnston had 3 unsuccessful runners at Leicester"

you think all those lost on purpose to let fanning ride the one
    doubt it to be honest thats not saying it wont happen
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Best of the Bets forum

Welcome to Best of the Bets forum, a community of liked minded punters with an interest in horse racing and sports betting.