• owenjohn
    Got to be a cautionary day today betting-wise as the weather could play havoc with the going etc.

As usual I'm looking for potential value, and any quirky little pointers!

Which brings me onto today's first selection.....

BIT OF A QUIRKE 4:20 Beverley @ 8/1

This Mark Walford gelding, running off a mark of 65, won this race last year, off a 5lb lower mark. He then followed up winning his next 3 races off 62, 64 & 68 (the former two wins over C&D here also!)

First time blinkers are applied today, and Andrew Mullen is back onboard (3 from 6 on the horse). The jockey also has an excellent record riding for Walford 6/21 (29% win rate)

Softening ground doesn't look like it should concern, and I'm hoping this boy is really trying today at an e/w price.

I'm also interested in the two John Mackie runners at Newmarket...FIRE JET & LUNAR JET

FIRE JET 2:45 @ 16/1

Was looking at him whilst analysing Amazing Red who won this race last year. Fire Jet finished 4th that day, without the clearest of runs, running off a mark of 92. Goes off 84 today, and is 17lbs better off at the weights with Amazing Red (though I do think that one is too high in the handicap now)

Fire Jet is a CD winner off today's mark, and has 2 wins from 5 runs over the July course.

LUNAR JET 5:35 @ 12/1

Quick look at him due to the one above. Won comfortably recently off 3lbs lower mark, and will relish soft ground, if it has gone that way by the last race on the card!

Now for the really quirky bit!! John Mackie regularly runs these two on the same day....in fact it has happened 6 times previously.

4 of those 6 times, Jimmy Quinn has ridden both horse, as today. The record when this has happened previously reads;

1st & 2nd

1st & 6th

2nd & 6th

1st & 3rd

At today's prices, I think they are worth e/w singles and an e/w double.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Best of the Bets forum

Welcome to Best of the Bets forum, a community of liked minded punters with an interest in horse racing and sports betting.