• The Clinic
    Supreme - Al Dancer & Fakir D'Oudairies both E/W for me. I'll have one to win and one to place. I had Fakir D'Oudairies to win last time as I knew he'd relish the Cheltenham hill from his first run. He grabs at the ground and pulls himself up the hill and he's a real nice jumper. But if one sweeps past him round the bend then it could be Al Dancer. He'll love the strong pace with his strong cruising speed. They're the 2 I can't have out the places.

Arkle - Duc Des Genievres & Kalashnikov both E/W in this. Duc Des Genievres goes in the ground and strode out really nicely last time even when setting a strong pace. He'll stay on all day and will suit this type of race. The only time Kalashnikov has lost a race going left handed is here last year in the Supreme and he was only just touched off. He also went too soon so I think the jockey will have learnt from that day. I know people say Glen Forsa is a brilliant jumper but I fancy him to fall here or make mistakes at least. He flew into at least 2 in the home straight last time at Sandown and that back straight at Cheltenham going downhill I see being dodgy for him. I know there's confidence behind Hardline but I don't see it, not a fan. Lalor wants quicker ground so I'm happy with my 2.

Ultima - Up For Review, Beware The Bear & Magic Of Light all E/W. Up For Review was stuck at the back out wide last time and still came third so that was a big run and puts him bang on here. With a better ride and luck in running he's got to go close. Beware The Bear stormed home here last year and was positively ridden last time and that shown him to best effect. He's dangerous if he's out in front rolling along. Magic Of Light has jumping issues but with big Robbie Power on board he might be able to sort that out and he's got a bit of an engine on the flat so he'd be very dangerous if he's there at the end.

Champion - No bet as I can't get an E/W price on any. I just can't rule any of the three out. Buveur D'Air has got his soft ground and this talk about him being overrated is nonsense. Brilliant hurdler. Since Apple's Jade stays 3 miles I think she should set off 60 mph, pop her hurdles and say come catch me if you can. That would hinder Buveur D'Air because he needs to be settled with cover to be seen to best effect. If he goes chasing her he's lost. Also, Laurina's jumping hasn't been tested at that speed in a race like this. A stop start gallop only suits Buveur D'Air as it will turn into a sprint and he's the quickest of the three. Laurina's best chance is Apple's Jade blazing off with Buveur D'Air chasing her with her just waiting in behind. It's too close to call and no one can say one for sure, it's all guess work how the race will pan out. It'll be a brilliant race to watch anyway.

Mares - I suppose it has to be Benie Des Dieux but I don't think I'll be backing at the price. I was all over her last year but she got lucky really, I thought she ran terrible. We don't even know what form she's in, you can't steam into her at that price but at her best she wins. If it was good ground I'd be all over Stormy Ireland E/W but I don't know if she'll stay on soft.

Close Brothers - Tower Bridge, Roaring Bull & Quamino all E/W. Tower Bridge ran a good race here last year and finished off well last time behind Duc De Genievres who I fancy in the Arkle so this has to have a good chance in a handicap. Roaring Bull is that Elliot/Kennedy combination you need to watch out for in handicaps and this horse comes here in good form so I don't know why he's so big in the betting. Also, Elliot thinks Quamino has got a big chance and so do I, he runs on strongly so he's one to watch out for at the top of the hill. Another one big in the betting.

National Hunt - Discorama & Jerrysback both E/W. The 2 at the top - Ballyward & Ok Corral don't follow the winners of this in that every winner has had at least 3 chase starts and they've only had 2. There's confidence behind Discorama and you can see why after the run last year staying on all the way in the straight after being in a bad position. Jerrysback looks a horse for this sort of trip all over. It's actually impressive how he's been winning and going close in races over 2m 4. So I think he definitely stays and he can use that speed at the end, he's got a huge chance for me.
  • dodd
    Good luck mate. I’m on your two in the Supreme. I really like Al Dancer and I think he could win conclusively.
  • AKD
    Nice write up, well done with Duc.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Best of the Bets forum

Welcome to Best of the Bets forum, a community of liked minded punters with an interest in horse racing and sports betting.