• AKD
    Weloof only finished 2nd other day after going off at a silly price, so made right decision to leave alone.

Bet #135 - 3:45 Newbury - Masala Chai (50/1) & Brionywells (20/1), 0.5 pt win on each of them

Bit of a speculative get but it's that kind of race, only 4 of the 17 runners have run before and as none of those have placed form, chances are that there is something among the newcomers that will be good enough to could take this. It's difficult to know which one it will be but I have picked a couple that have good pedigrees. I felt split stake between two horses rather than backing e/w was better option in this race.

Anthony Honeyball appears to have a strong hand in this both his runners in the race have been strongly backed, but it has also meant that some of the others have drifted. Both of mine had been forecast to be much shorter, I feel there is some value in them now. And although Honeyball has a good record in bumpers, his record in this race is 0 from 4 (this race used to be run over 1m 5f, it's the first time it's being run over this distance). In last 20 runnings of this race, there have been a couple of big priced winners at 100/1 & 40/1.

Masala Chai is related to several flat winners, her dam Fanditha was a 4 times winner on flat, bought by Mick Channon later in her career she went on to place at up to Listed level. Channon has only had one runner in this race before, which won - admittedly in much less competitive renewal.

Brionywells' dam Pandy Wells won a couple of low grade chases and she was related to winners including own brother Constantine Bay who was a Grade 2 winning novice hurdler. Fergal O'Brien is 2 from 5 in this race although both winners were much shorter prices.

Dance The Moon is another one I considered, Alan King has had 8 newcomers in this race in last 20 years with finishing positions of 31531541. With a record like that chances are Dance The Moon will be thereabouts but I decided to go with the bigger priced ones.
  • Ribot
    Good luck, AKD.
  • AKD
    Thanks Ribot.

Masala Chai's (20/1 SP) run wasn't without promise, she seemed to be travelling very well when briefly hitting the front, but faded badly late on to drop to 7th. Brionywells was always towards the back. Money was right for the favourite, winning like a nice horse.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Best of the Bets forum

Welcome to Best of the Bets forum, a community of liked minded punters with an interest in horse racing and sports betting.