• AKD
    Bet #98 - 5:40 Haydock - Still Standing, 50/50 split win & 3 places (win part @ 40/1, 3 to place @ BSP)

Chances are that I am going to regret backing this one. Expectations have to be low backing a big long shot in a 5 runner race where other four all have good recent form, and they have been lowered even further by drying ground. As well as being in favour of the selection, Good to soft would have been a worry for the favourite but not now it's changed to Good and a sunny afternoon ahead. I did think about leaving the race alone but as I had made a case for Still Standing, and if he does well at the price and I haven't backed it then I think I will regret it more missing out, so here goes.

Still Standing was a very smart prospect early in his career, winning 5 of his first 8 races in Ireland including a Listed race, and was being talked of as a future stallion at the time. Things didn't go to plan though, and his career has been on a downward trajectory since then. His last flat win was over 2 years ago, in a handicap from mark of 94, around this time 2 years ago he also ran well to finish 4/12 in Red God Handicap from mark of 95 finishing next to the consistent Safecracker. Those are still very good efforts in context of this race as his OR has now dropped to 71 so he is well handicapped.

His form has continued to decline in 3 runs for Alex Dunn though there are possible excuses. 3/7 first up in a seller ridden by 7 lbs claimer, he was 4th best in betting so wasn't expected to do much better. Next was 6/6 on Good to Firm as 25/1 outsider, he would not have liked the quick going, Jessica Harrington consciously avoided running him on quick going in Ireland. Pulled up in class 3 over the jumps last time but he was a 125/1 shot.

He did win a charity race at end of June (video posted below) at Chepstow for his stable lass Katie Martin. That was Katie's first ride in a race and now she has got her amateur licence she has her first ride in a competitive race on same horse. I know there is a big difference between winning a charity race and competing against experienced jockeys but I think that win is a positive for both the rider and horse. The horse Still Standing beat in a photo in that race, Carp Kid, has won two handicaps since then.

This has been a good week for jockeys winning on their first rides, Frederick Daly's win on Tuesday aboard a favourite was expected, then Ben Pollard had a big priced winner on his first ride yesterday, I hope young Katie Martin can keep that trend going and finish in first 3 at least.

No expectations really as the race includes two last time out winners and also last year's winner (Billy Roberts) of the race, but if Still Standing retains enough of his old ability he could run well.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WYnKKEZ2fmA&pp=ygURUmFjaW5nIHN0YWZmIHdlZWs%3D
  • malcolm
    Good Luck AKD :up:
  • AKD
    Thanks Malcolm

Still Standing never moved out of last place, coming home in his own time.
  • malcolm

My picks do that regularly butty :up:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Best of the Bets forum

Welcome to Best of the Bets forum, a community of liked minded punters with an interest in horse racing and sports betting.